Problems

Problems

Sirius lay, contented, in the dirty leaves beneath the trees, rolled onto his back, his paws tucked happily at his chest. He was full after one rabbit. Remus, who was much larger, was tearing the meat from his third, laying just a few feet away as he ripped at the furry flesh, chewing eagerly. Sirius watched him, his head turned upward, keeping an eye that he didn't wander off. There wasn't much for him to get into here in the woods, though. No people to bite, and they were stronger than a majority of the creatures they'd come across. Though there had been a small pack of foxes that had stared at the dog and the wolf from under a thicket of brambles as they'd passed through, and the foxes, due to the number in their back, may have been an issue - they had been far more wary of the canines than anything else.

The rabbits had proved to be a challenge to catch - they moved with a speed and agility that neither of the dogs had perfected yet, though Remus's came far more instinctively. He'd caught all four rabbits, surrendering them to his alpha the moment he'd shaken the life from them. Sirius had nudged the rabbits that Remus had eaten back to him one at a time.

Finally satiated, Remus rolled onto his side, imitating the stance that Sirius had already assumed releasing a big wolfish sigh, his tongue rolling to clean his muzzle.

This is the life, Sirius thought, stretching, tail flapping a bit in happiness, his eyes closing in contentment, ready to take a snooze there on the forest floor.

It's not all bad, I suppose.

Sirius's eyes opened and he rolled onto his stomach, looking over at the wolf as he scratched his back on the ground, flopping about, dragging his back through the stones, sticks, and leaves. Rey? Is that you?

The wolf's head rolled to look up at the dog. Who else would it be?

I mean I know it's you, but - BUT IT'S REALLY YOU!

There was a pause as the meaning of the thought sank in, Bloody hell, it is! Remus realized. Merlin's beard, I have control. SIRIUS I HAVE CONTROL! SIRIUS I CAN THINK FOR MYSELF! SIRIUS!! Remus leaped to his feet, barking with uncontrollable joy as he leaped about the dark place they'd found to eat their rabbits. SIRIUS I'M ME! I'M ME!

Sirius jumped up and leaped about with the wolf, equally excited. YOU'RE YOU, YOU'RE YOU!

Elsewhere, two other dogs were talking about one of them having control as well. These were both wolves. Greyback's sharp claws cut into Veigler's shoulder, blood drawing out of the flesh, soaking his ragged brown-grey fur as Greyback's thick, horribly yellowed teeth tightened about Veigler's jugular - tight enough to restrict the air but not enough to puncture the skin, just enough to make him horribly uncomfortable.

A single snap is all it would take to end you, Greyback growled lowly, the sound of it vibrating through his clamped jaw, shivering into Veigler menacingly. A single snap. I can command you to lie still for it, to simply stay and let me kill you without a fight. And yet you defy me again. For the third time.

Veigler whimpered, the sound catching in his throat at the place Greyback's jaw held him. I'm sorry... I'm sorry, please let me go... Please, have mercy... Mercy, Fenrir. Mercy.

You were meant to bring me the Boy.

I'm sorry!

Is it so hard? Are you such a coward you cannot do this one simple task? He tightened so that Veigler's wind was completely cut off, he gurgled and choked, his tongue struggling to create a way to allow oxygen to his lungs, but none would pass and he felt his mind beginning to drift before Greyback loosened his grip. The brown-grey wolf panted, gasping to relieve the burning desperation in his lungs. So help me, Ned, if the moon rises in February and you do not bring the boy to me, I will kill you.