Chapter 25

It was Thursday morning, the day before the funeral. I decided to go, I figured I would have regretted not going in the future, plus Darry talked me into it.

Speaking of Darry, almost every morning he was taking me out for fighting lessons. It was pretty interesting actually, but I'll still never be able to handle a rumble or any crazy stuff like that. He was teaching me how to throw a punch, how to block a punch and everything like that. But he's also been making me eat really healthy and even lift weights.

"All packed?" Darry said.

"Yeah, are you guys ready?"

Darry gave me a nod. We all decided to drive to Houston this morning just so we'd make it on time. I received multiple letters from Riley this week telling me all the details. The funeral was at 2:00pm and the "close family" was throwing a little supper afterwards but I haven't decided if I wanted to go there yet.

"Let's get going, the truck just got here!" Darry yelled.

One of Darry's friends let him borrow his truck so we could all go. I got aboard with Soda, Pony and Johnny in our truck, then Darry took Steve and Two-bit. I really wanted Dally to be here, but unfortunately he's trouble.

"How you doing?" Johnny asked.

"I'm alright" I smiled.

Today was when it really hit me that I was never going to see my mom ever again. Today I am just starting to actually miss her. But I told myself over and over that I needed to stay strong. I have a better family now.

"How longs the drive?" Pony asked.

"Like 7 hours" I sighed and a groan came out of everyones mouth.

Most of the ride was silent. I didn't actually think Soda could stay quiet for that long. It was at least two hours without any of us speaking. I thought it was quite awkward but I ignored it and tried to sleep. It wasn't hard considering there was no noise to keep me awake.

** Hours later ***

"Look! There's a sign!" Pony yelled which woke me up. I looked at the sign as we passed by, in big white letter it said Houston. We were here already? I went almost 8 hours without food?

"Darry's stopped up there, he probably needs directions" Soda said.

We parked next to Darry and he told us to lead the way, so we did. We drive into town, thankfully it didn't take to long to get to the hotel I planned on staying in.

"The hotel is just right up there" I pointed and Soda nodded.

The hotel was small and kind of old, but it was my favourite hotel. My mom and dad would bring me there every now and then just for a change.

We checked in a found our room on the third floor. Surprisingly they fixed up the hotel, it didn't look old at all, it was beautiful.

"Nice place" Darry said looking around after dropping his bag on the bed. I decided to stay in a room with Soda, Darry and Pony, and Two-bit Steve and Johnny stayed in the joining room.

I sat down in the chair and put my head in my hands.

"What's wrong kid?" Darry asked.

"I wish Dally was here, I really need someone at a time like this, I miss him" I said bringing my head up to meet Darry and Soda's faces.

"We're here for you Han, we miss Dally too but he'll be out sooner than you know it" Soda said.

All I did was smile. I already promised myself to stay strong, I'm going to try and keep my mind off Dally.