Chapter Four

Chapter Four

"It is also my painful duty to tell you that the Quidditch House Cup will not take place this year." Dumbledore announced. Charissa whipped around to Cedric, accidentally smacking Isabel in the face with her hair.

"He can't do that!" She hissed. Cedric looked upset as well. "It's supposed to be my first year to play!" All across the Great Hall, annoyed conversations were breaking out. Nobody seemed to agree with this.

"This is due to an event which will begin in October and last the school year, taking up most of the teachers' time and energy. I am sure you will greatly enjoy it."

He was interrupted by the doors to the Great Hall opening rather loudly. A man entered through them, a man with a wooden leg and a fake eye. He had chunks missing from his face, and walk quite frightening. Charissa vaguely recognized him from descriptions she'd heard over the years, but couldn't place a name.

"Let me introduce you to your new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, Professor Moody!" Dumbledore announced.

The name instantly clicked in her head. "Dumbledore hired Mad Eye?" She said across the table to Amber. "What was he thinking?"

"Something's going on." Amber whispered back, her lips barely moving. "My parents have been acting strange ever since the World Cup. Dumbledore must be worried."

"Strange howso?" Charissa asked. There was a sudden itch on her left forearm. She reached to scratch it as Amber responded "I'll tell you later."

Dumbledore continued with his speech. "It is my honor to announce that this year, Hogwarts will be hosting the Triwizard Tournament." He said.

"You're joking!" One of the Weasley twins exclaimed. The whole Hall began to laugh. Charissa spotted Draco giving her an "I told you so" look from the Slytherin table. She didn't respond.

Dumbledore began to explain the Tournament. Charissa vaguely listened, shivering at the words "death toll." That scared her, of course, but she was still crazy enough to enter.

"The Heads of Beauxbatons and Durmstrang will arrive in October with their contenders, and the three champions will be chosen on Halloween. The champions will be chosen by an impartial judge, and complete for the Triwizard Cup, eternal glory, and a thousand Galleons." Dumbledore continued.

"I know many of you will be keen to enter," Dumbledore said. "But due to the dangers of the Tournament, the other Heads, as well as the Ministry, have agreed to impose an age restriction on possible champions this year. Only students seventeen years or older will be allowed to enter." He was met with outraged cries from all across the Hall, mainly from the Slytherin and Gryffindor tables. Charissa was barely managing to keep her disappointment inside. There was no way to go home now.

"We feel it is highly unlikely that any students below sixth year will be able to handle the tasks set before them. I will be personally ensuring that no underage student tricks the judge into making them champion." Dumbledore continued over the unrest.

As they got up to go to bed, Cedric pulled Charissa aside. "Don't you dare." He said quietly.

"Do what?" Charissa's unknowing smile was false. She knew exactly what Cedric was talking about.

"Try and enter the tournament." Cedric said. "We share emotions, remember? All of Hufflepuff knows to some extent that you want to enter."

"Cedric, it's my only chance to go back." Charissa said, her eyes filling with emotions that could not be faked. "I have to!"

"Charissa, is it worth your life?" Cedric responded. "You heard Dumbledore, they canceled the tournament last time because of the death toll!"

"Why should that stop me, Cedric? For all I know, I could beat the odds. I could go home! I could go back to my mum, my home! Cedric, I miss it so, so much." Charissa's voice was pained now. Cedric could sense the homesickness, and pulled her into a hug.

"I know," He said. "But what if you died? Would they want that?"

"Maybe you're right," Charissa's voice had grown stronger. "But that still won't stop me from trying."

"Please, Charissa, don't try." Cedric said. "I don't know what I'd do if I lost you."