Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

Cedric had arranged with Professor McGonagall to use her empty classroom at lunch to teach Charissa how to dance. Afterwards, Charissa was going to meet the girls in the library to study.

"Right, it's simple." Cedric said. He had cleared away the desks, leaving open floor space. "Hands here." Charissa could barely reach his shoulders.

Cedric quickly ran through the steps. Charissa didn't exactly think it was simple, but she tried anyway, stepping on Cedric's feet several times. "I told you I couldn't dance." She said.

"Just takes a bit of practice, that's all." Cedric replied. "You'll get it, I promise."

A half hour later, Charissa had managed to get down the basic step, laughing as she span around to no music. "I told you you'd get it!" Cedric said. "Now you'll be able to dance with Terry."

"Oh, don't you dare!" Charissa said. Cedric gave her a quick hug and messed with her hair. "Just teasing you, sis." He grinned, looking at his watch. "Looks like the bell's about to ring. I should start heading to class."

"Right," Charissa said, grabbing her bag. "See you." She walked out of the classroom and headed into the library. The others hadn't arrived yet. Charissa grabbed a table and pulled out her Herbology assignment.

"Need any help with that?" A voice asked after Charissa had been staring at the paper blankly for five minutes or so. The girls still hadn't shown up.

Charissa jumped and turned around to find none other than Terry Boot heading towards her from across the library.

"No, I'm fine, thanks." Charissa replied.

"Hey, I was wondering," Terry stuttered. "Do you-do you want to go to the Yule Ball with me?"

Charissa froze. "Uhm" She stammered. "Sure, that sounds great!"

"You're sure?" Terry replied happily. "I mean, you don't have to, there's plenty of other guys..."

"No, I'm sure." Charissa replied.

"Great!" Terry said. "That's awesome. I guess I'll see you then!" And with that he walked off awkwardly and a cheer went up from behind the bookcases. Charissa wandered over there to find the girls, Hannah Abbott, Erie MacMillan, and several Ravenclaws excitedly cheering.

"Did you set me up?" Charissa exclaimed. At once they all fell silent and stared sheepishly at her.

"...Maybe." Amber admitted.

"But it worked!" One of the Ravenclaws said happily.

Charissa smiled, absolutely glowing. "It did." She turned to Hannah and Ernie. "Shouldn't you two be in class?" She laughed.

"Well, this was more important." Hannah grinned. "Besides, we have Justin to tell us everything."

"But she's right, we should probably get to class..." Ernie said, and the two of them dashed off, followed by the Ravenclaws.

"Come on, you four, we have work to do." Charissa dragged the overly excited girls over to her table.

Little work got done. The others were too excited, passing dress ideas around, and commenting on various aspects of the Yule Ball. Charissa eventually gave up and pulled the unopened letter from her bag. She hadn't touched it since Cedric had given it to her yesterday.

The letter was from her mother. Surprised, Charissa opened the letter and began to read.

In another part of the castle, walked Albus Dumbledore. He was heading to the Forbidden Forest to meet with the centaurs.

"Albus." The centaur called Lineaus greeted him. "You wished to speak with us."

"It's about the prophecy." Dumbledore said gravely.

"I know." Lineaus said. "You believe it is to come to pass."

"I believe I may have found the Dragon Queen." Dumbledore said.

"You believe it is the Malfoy girl?" Lineaus asked.

Dumbledore nodded in reply. "She has Dragonsong."

"There is more to the prophecy than Dragonsong, Albus." Lineaus said, staring off into the distance. "Yes, it is true. The prophecy speaks of the child. You must be extremely careful, Albus."

"Careful of what?" Dumbledore asked. He had never been told the full contents of the prophecy.

"The girl must not be allowed any connection to the Dark Arts. If we lose her to the Dark, the war is lost before it has begun." Lineaus said, his eyes growing dark. "Not a word from either of her parents. Keep her and the boy as separate as possible. The child lies perilously trapped between light and dark. We must not let her fall prey to the dark."

"Lineaus, it would very much help if you would tell me the full prophecy." Dumbledore said.

Lineaus took a deep breath, his eyes upturned to the sky. "When the dead walk once more, when child betrays parent, the Dark Lord shall reign. And when the light goes rogue, when child comes home, and friend loses friend, the Dragon Queen will herald the end."

"The prophecy spoke nothing of a girl." Dumbledore said.

"There is a second, companion prophecy." Lineaus said. "When child survives, and mother dies, where lies rule, the child of the dragon will be born, and she will be cursed and hidden, born to die, but born to fight. And when the sun sets on child once more, she will set the course of our future."

Dumbledore looked up from the Pensive and turned to McGonagall. "And you're sure the letter is from Narcissa?" He asked quietly. She nodded. "Quite certain. I saw the name myself."

Dumbledore took a long, slow breath. "Then I fear we are too late."