Grudges and Other Unhealthy Outbursts

Get rid of all bitterness, rage, anger, harsh words, and slander, as well as all types of evil behavior. Instead, be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you.
Ephesians 4:31-32
NLT

It's hard to forgive people who've hurt us. While today they may need forgiveness, things like bitterness, rage, anger, harsh words, slander, and evil behavior beg for us to indulge the desire to hurt them in return.

Holding a grudge is like holding dynamite. At some point someone will be hurt in an emotional explosion. After the one hurt (for a second time) is the grudge holder.

We want justice for the actions of others, but grace for our own choices. We're tough on others and easy on ourselves. We think other people should make things right, but we feel like we don't have to because God has forgiven us.

Dear God, grudges are easy to feed, grow well on there own, and always produce a good crop. Harsh words come easy. However, being kind and forgiving means I give something to the offender that they never offered. You came to give freedom through forgiveness and love. It was your gift. To help me give to others what I received from you.
Amen