You Have an Aunt Katherine?

Penelope's blissful sleep was disturbed when her pillow started moving. But when she felt her pillow breathing, she looked up into the eyes of Ricky Moore. as he looked down at her, she saw curiosity and mischief twinkling in his chocolate brown eyes. She found she could stay right here, staring into those mesmerizing eyes forever. But, forever didn't last long enough. And just like Oliver, her mother, Danni, and himself  back inn fifth grade; he would leave her. It was inevitable. Ricky wasn't very good at hiding emotions, so when Penelope pulled away with a quick flash of pain in her eyes, his gave confusion and concern.

"Hey Pen--,"Ricky started with the slightest bit of hope in his voice.

"Ricky," Penelope said in a serious tone cutting him off," I didn't mean to fall asleep like that. I didn't mean to cry okay? Just forget it happened, and I'll do the same."

"I was just gonna say, that it's fine. That's what friends are for right? To lend a shoulder to cry on?"

"Yeah," Penelope replied, her voice barely above a whisper," Good thing we're friends." Ricky gave her a sharp nod, started the car, and continued driving to Ohio. Ricky couldn't have been more silent. Normally, he'd be the one to start up a conversation when they reached this level of silence. This time, it was Penelope who decided to break the silence.

"Ricky," She started," What's wrong?"

Ricky replied to her through clenched teeth," I have to visit my Aunt Katherine in Ohio and take my cousin Erik along with us."

"Wait," she replied," You have an Aunt Katherine?"

Ricky let out a strained laugh and said, " Yes, on my mom's side, the crazy side."

"Oh, how old is Erik?"

"He's five. If you're wondering, which you most likely are, we're taking him because my aunt is going to court again for drinking. So, since I'm closest to him, my mother told me to go get him."

"Oh, okay. I'm sorry Rick, I--"

"No need," Ricky said as his gaze softened," it's not your fault."

"Yeah but--"

"Pen, I don't want to hear another word about it okay?" He said softly," Not. Your. Fault."

"Alright."

"Pinky promise?"

"No crosses count," Penelope finished as a shadow of a smile crossed her face. They reached Ohio as the sun was beginning to set. They pulled up to an apartment complex and Penelope waited in the car while Ricky went up two flights of stairs to get Erik. After a few minutes, Ricky finally emerged from the tall complex with a freckled redhead.

"Penelope," Ricky began," this is my cousin, Erik."

"Erik," He said again," this is my best friend, Penelope."

"Hey Erik," Penelope stated as she turned towards the young boy," Nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you too," Erik replied sleepily. He trudged towards the truck and climbed through the driver's side to position himself in the middle. Shortly after Ricky had started driving, Erik's soft snores were echoed throughout the car. Ricky turned on the radio only to earn a questioning look from Penelope.

"Ricky," Penelope whispered," Isn't that gonna wake up Erik?"

"Nope," He replied," Erik's the heaviest sleeper out of the entire family." With a sharp nod, Penelope turned her head to once again, look out the window. When they passed the sign indicating they'd crossed over into Pennsylvania, Penelope let out a contempt sigh and let sleep overcome her. When she woke up, the sun had started to rise above Potter County. She was about to sit up but stopped when she saw Erik's head resting on her shoulder.

"Good morning Pen," Ricky said softly with a small smile," Welcome to Pennsylvania."

A/N     Hey everyone! I hope you enjoyed this chapter! So, I only have one chapter this week because I've had MAJOR writer's block all week. With school starting soon, I might not be able to get as many chapters in, but I will be getting at least one updated every week In the previous chapters, I mentioned a book called Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell. If you haven't read it yet, you really should. It's AMAZING. Thanks for reading this and I hope you all had a lovely week!

~~olliieee✌🏻️