xi

We had traveled all night and all day in silence, and the sun was setting. I glanced at Brienne, a loud sigh making it's way through my lips, a signal to her.

"Yes?" She asked, glancing at me. 

She did not seem to like me much, and I did not know why. I was a joy to be around.

Every attempt I had made for conversation had been brushed off. But I was determined.

"How long until we reach Harrenhall?" I asked.

We were still on horseback, and I looked at the sun setting in the sky. I knew that Robb knew I was gone by now. I felt guilty, but it was for the best. 

And I knew that he would not risk sending people after me. If he did, it would give away my true identity and put me in even more danger.

"We did good time by traveling all day. We're a few miles past High Heart, so we're about halfway there. If we sleep tonight and leave when the sun begins to rise, we should make it to Harrenhall by this time tomorrow," Brienne said shortly, and I nodded.

Well, it was progress. That was the most I'd gotten out of her since we began traveling.

"So let's set up camp here," We both stopped riding, and I looked around.

We were on a small road in the woods, and we could make camp just off the side of the road and leave early in the morning.

"What if someone passes by and sees us and decides to rob us?" Brienne asked. She had a hint of annoyance in her tone.

"We'll keep watch all night. I'll stay up and wake you halfway through the night," I said, and my tone implied no more arguments.

We pulled the dismounted our horses and disconnected our horses from the small cart they were pulling. Brienne went to tie the horses to a tree while I dragged the cart near where we'd sleep for the night.

Setting up camp would be easy, but it would be easier if Brienne would talk to me.

-----------------------------------------------------------

About an hour later, Brienne and I were sitting on opposite sides of a fire, cooking some meat we'd brought with us.

The cart was actually filled with things to trade, courtesy of Catelyn. Food, fruits, spices, wine, clothes... etc. It was believable.

But we were hungry, and I didn't feel like hunting, so I simply stole some of the food.

Although I don't think it counted as stealing since it was stuff that was given to me.

"I don't feel good about going to sleep and leaving you up alone," Brinne spoke suddenly, and I looked at her from across the fire.

In the light of the flame I could see her well. Her hair was so light, and her eyes so blue. She almost appeared not to have eyebrows because of their lightness. I could see why people may have made fun of her for not being traditionally beautiful, but I did not think that she looked that bad. In her own way, she was quite attractive to me.

I reminded myself that I was married, and I did not even know if Brienne was interested in women.

Even then, messing with her wouldn't hurt.

"Aw, are you worried about me? I'm touched by the fondness you feel, because I feel the fondness as well," I smiled in amusement at my playful teasing.

Her face scrunched, and I almost laughed at the disgruntled look. It was as endearing as it was unattractive.

"I don't feel any fondness. I just need to protect you for Lady Catelyn," Brienne had taken on a no-nonsense tone.