xiii

We arrived in Riverrun with no trouble about a day later, making our total trip about a week.

We rode up to the gates of the castle, and a man looked over the edge before yelling, "It's the queen! She's back!"

I smiled and waved to the man as the gates began to lower so we could ride in.

"Someone get King Robb! And Lady Catelyn!" A man called, and I grinned at the sheer happiness of it all.

Once we were inside the walls the gates closed, and I dismounted my horse, as did Brienne. I walked around to the back of the cart and offered my hand to Arya, who took it as she got out. Her friends got out as well, and the three just seemed overwhelmed by the whole thing.

I could not blame them for that.

"Elli?!" I heard a familiar voice call, and I whipped around.

I saw Robb standing there, with Catelyn at his side. My eyes widened and I ran to him.

We clashed together and our arms wrapped around each other.

I knew that he was not going to let me leaving go, and we'd probably argue about it later, but fro now, we were just happy to be together again.

I hadn't realized how much I missed him until I was in his arms with my eyes misty. It felt like a hole in my heart was filled.

Robb lifted me up and twirled me around and I laughed once he let me down.

"Arya! Your hair!" Catelyn gasped, and her daughter ran to her and hugged her.

I pulled away from Robb and he wrapped his arms around his mother and sister. I smiled at the heart-warming sight.

Three of the Starks reunited. Now we only needed to get Sansa back.

The family didn't pull apart until a few minutes later, and there was not a dry eye. Robb was trying to pretend that he hadn't shed a few tears, but I simply smiled.

He put a hand on my waist and pulled me close to his side. I brought a hand up and cupped his face, using my thumb to wipe the wetness beneath his eyes.

Catelyn was thanking Brienne, and I knew that my new blonde friend was proud of herself for doing good by her lady.

"Come, let us all go inside. We have much to discuss," Robb said, and pulled away from me.

------------------------------------------------------------------

"Theon took Winterfell?" I asked in shock, my eyes widening. I hadn't even gotten a chance to talk to Theon, but from what I'd heard, he was loyal.

"There's been no word of Bran or Rickon," Robb said, and I knew that he feared the worst.

"Oh, Robb, he couldn't have hurt them," I said, although after this I wasn't sure what Theon was capable of.

"I don't know about that," Robb said, letting out a sigh, "But Lord Bolton has sent his bastard son and many men to retake Winterfell."

I nodded, relieved that we were handling this swiftly.

"How foolish can Theon be?" I asked, shaking my head.

"Apparently very," Robb said, and I shrugged.

Arya was with Catelyn, changing and having a bath. Her friends were put up in rooms, probably bathing as well. 

He had yet to bring up my leaving, so I thought that he may have forgiven it.

"At least you have Arya now. Sansa, Bran, and Rickon will all be by your side soon as well," I said confidently.

"Yes, Arya is safe, thank the gods, but I am still angry at you," He said, turning to me.

I sat up and bit my lip from my place in a chair by the window. He was standing near the hearth, only a few feet away.

"Brienne and I saved her- you should have seen what it was like there, Robb-" I started.

"I don't care what it was like!" He exclaimed, "We would have rescued her in another way, one that did not endanger your life. You can't go around and play the hero!"

I stood up and scoffed, "'Play the hero'? I do not care about glory, Robb. I wanted Arya to be safe, and every day that we waiting was another where she could have died!"

"You are acting as if I do not care about my sister!" Robb shot back.

"Do you? Because risking my life was worth saving her!" I yelled, and he walked towards me in a few swift steps.

I knew that he would not lay a hand on me, but it was still intimidating. But my face didn't show my fear or worry.

"Don't you understand?" He said exasperatedly, "I cannot bare to lose you. I do not know what I would do."

"You would remarry," I said, and he sighed, shaking his head as I continued, "Lords and kings do it all the time, and you would need to because I have not given you an heir yet-"

"I care about you too much to be able to do that," He interrupted me, cupping my face in his hands. I stayed silent as he continued, "If I were to lose you, I would not be able to live with myself. I would never marry again, I would let the throne pass to Bran."

My eyes widened. In a way, this was almost a confession of love. My fingers played with the designs on my dress as my eyes began to water.

"I would hope that in my memory, you would let the throne pass to the next oldest sibling, Sansa," I whispered, smiling lightly.

I did not know how to talk about my feelings or express them in such a grand way as he had. But Robb did not seem to mind. Especially since he loved it when I stood up for what I believed in.

He offered me a watery smile, "The next oldest sibling would actually be Jon, if we are counting bastards."

"Then if we die with no heirs, the throne will go to Jon," I said, and he chuckled.

"A bastard on the throne, could you imagine? Westeros would never have it," He joked lightly, then froze, realizing what he'd said.

I pulled away from his embrace, offering him a small smile, "Then I suppose we will have to get our marriage annulled."

I walked over to the bed and sat on it, looking at my lap. I felt stupid for taking offense- I was perfectly fine with being a bastard.

But I think it was just the fact that it was Robb, my husband whom I cared for greatly, saying something like that effected me. It felt like a slap in the face.

I could almost feel the regret radiating off of him, but I didn't look up. 

"Elli, you know that I didn't mean it like that. I forget that you-" He stopped himself and sighed.

"What, forgot that I am a bastard? Well I am, Robb, and if you have reservations about that then I'm sorry, but it is a little too late,"I said, my tone implying that I was not in the mood for apologies.

I laid down on the bed and lifted the covers, slipping underneath them.

"Are you going to sleep already? It is barely dark," Robb said.

"Sorry, I'm a bit tired since I've rode for almost three days straight to bring your sister back. Or did you want to fuck before I went to sleep? Sorry, I didn't know if you'd want a bastard fucking you. A king might be above that," I said, and turned to the side, closing my eyes.

"My love..." Robb sighed, and I let out a scoff.

I heard him walking, and he appeared in front of me. He bent down and kissed me softly on the head.

"I'm sorry," He whispered, "Sleep well."

He stood up and walked across the room before exiting, leaving me alone.

I felt like an immature little girl. These things never bothered me. Why were they bothering me so much now, and from Robb?

Was it... Could it be because I cared about what he thought? I never cared for other people's opinions of me, but maybe...

Maybe I was growing to love him, and I wanted him to think well of me. I wanted him to love me too.

Before I could think any more, I fell asleep with Robb on my mind.