xix

I woke up two mornings later, I immediately began vomiting.

Whether it was from the fact that I was pregnant or from the little food they were giving me(and what they were was terrible) I did not know.

"Hey," I called the guards, my eyes squinting from the bright sunlight.

I leaned against the pole and held my knees to my chest as the guard ignored me.

"Tell Kevan Lannister I need to see him," I said, and still got nothing.

"It is about his nephew, Jaime Lannister!" I exclaimed in exasperation, and the guards exchanged a glance.

After a few tense seconds one of them began walking towards the tent, and I breathed a sigh of relief.

I put a hand on my stomach hesitantly, biting my lip. I had tried not to think about the life that was growing inside of me, but I could not stop thinking about him or her.

It was going to be a mix of myself and Robb. I recalled a conversation that Robb and I had once, about if our child would have his hair. I smiled sadly as my eyes burned, wanting to cry.

That was another thing. I was not a person to cry often. But every time I thought about my husband or the war or anything stressful, I wanted to turn into a puddle of tears.

I hated it.

I did not want to think about our child because there were so many 'what ifs'. What if I never made it out of this camp? What if I had a miscarriage? What if we lose this war and I am beheaded? What if I am a terrible mother?

It was terrifying, and I could not afford to lose myself in my fear. I had so many people to protect now.

Once I would have laid down my life to escape, but I was unsure of the risks. Risking my life meant risking the life of my child.

But that again was something else was terrifying. I had to be willing to take risks.

I was lost in thought when Kevan Lannister walked up. I turned my head towards him, holding my chin high.

"You wanted to speak about my nephew?" Kevan asked.

"I did. Tell me, Kevan, do you care for your nephew?" I asked, tilting my head to the side.

He narrowed his eyes at me, "Of course I do. Why would I not?"

"Maybe because he fucks his sister, but-" I clicked my tongue as Kevan's eyes filled with rage, "Sorry, that is not what I wanted to speak about, it just slipped out."

He did not seem to like my fake claim to innocence. I did not care.

"Would you be willing to trade my life and the lives of my sisters for him?" I asked.

He crossed his arms and chuckled, shaking his head.

"You are in no position to be trying to make deals for your freedom," Kevan seemed amused.

I pressed my lips together. I had figured that they would not give me up that easily.

"What about our lives for him and Alton Lannister?" I asked, "That is your cousin, is it not? But you basically raised him as a boy."

I knew that I was right. I had spent my entire life researching family trees out of interest and curiosity. It was useful information.

I knew that I had truly backed him into a corner by the look of surprise in his eyes.

"No," He said, and it almost seemed to hurt him.

But it was fair. This was war, and there were sacrifices. After all, I was the most valuable prisoner they could have.