Chapter 5

**Just FYI, there might be a couple bad words in this chapter. I'm not proud of this chapter. :( **

ANNABETH

As I got ready that night, I tried to ignore the questions from my siblings. My overprotective older brothers.

"Who is this guy?" Malcolm asked.

"What cabin is he from?" Tyler asked.

"Why are you going out?" Gabe questioned.

"When is it?" Malcolm asked.

"Where are you two going?" Carter asked. I put my brush down and stood up to face my brothers.

"Kevin from Hermes, because he asked me, in five minutes, and just down at the beach." I said, answering all their questions. "And why are you guys being so overprotective?" Gabe put his arm around my shoulders.

"Because you're our baby sister! We don't want you to be hurt!" He said, ruffling my hair. I gently pushed him away.

"I've fought thousands of monsters. I've been to the Underworld and back. I went into the Sea of Monsters. I held up the sky. I've been in and out of the Labyrinth. I think that I can handle a date." I said, walking past the four. They started fussing among themselves. I rolled my eyes. The perks of having a bunch of overprotective brothers: not being allowed to date.

"Hey, Annabeth!" Someone called from behind me. Thinking it was Kevin, I turned around with a fake smile on my face. But, it was only Percy. I sighed and turned back around and kept walking.

"Annabeth come on!" He called again. He was starting to sound like Kevin when he was asking me out. I ignored him and kept walking. I felt a hand on my shoulder and stopped.

"What?" I asked, not even turning around. Percy walked in front of me.

"Listen, we've been fighting a lot lately. And I really hate it when we fight. And I was wondering if you wanted to hang out tonight. Just the two of us."

"Aren't you dating Ashlee?" I asked. "Because it sounds like you're trying to ask me out."

"Yeah I'm still dating Ashlee. And I'm not asking you out. I just wanted to hang out. Like old times." I remembered all the times when Percy and I would hang out together. It sounded good, but instead I said, "Sorry, can't." Percy frowned.

"Why not?" He asked.

"Because I'm busy. I'm going on a date." Percy raised an eyebrow.

"You? Go on a date?" He asked. I crossed my arms.

"Yes Percy. I actually am capable of socializing. I'm not just a nerd who spends all my time doing work."

"Annabeth, I didn't mean it that way. All I meant was-"

"Whatever. Look, I have to go." I walked past him, leaving him standing there like a loner. Ok, so maybe I was a bit harsh. I stopped thinking of Percy and made my way towards the beach, where I saw Kevin standing there. He was wearing black shorts and a blue hoodie. It wasn't much better than what I was wearing: jeans and an old jacket that I had borrowed from my best friend, Thalia.

"Hey." Kevin said. He looked pretty cute tonight. I mean, he'd always been cute, but he ruined it with his annoying-ness.

"Hi." I said, forcing myself to smile.

"Um... You look really good tonight." He said, his face turning pink.

"Thanks.. You too." We started to walk down the beach in silence.

"The water looks really beautiful tonight. Don't you think?" I said.

"I guess." Kevin said.

"It's also a really nice night." I said, looking up at the stars. I saw the constellation of my old dead friend Zoë Nightshade. Well, she wasn't really my friend. I had only met her once before she had died.