Chapter 11

ANNABETH

My fingers tapped nervously on the side of the tree that I was hiding behind.  

Here we go... I thought. Rebecca walked into sight, a few feet behind Percy. She looked at me, and I nodded, and mouthing "Go". She smiled, and walked up to Percy.  

"Hey, Percy." She said, walking past him and batting her eyelashes. "You look good today." Percy's mouth dropped open. He stared at her, then jerked his eyes away. Rebecca walked towards me and hid behind the tree closest to me.  

"Well?" She asked. "How did I do?" I smiled.  

"Good. You totally got his attention." I told her. She looked at Percy, then back at me, her smile faded.  

"Well, it didn't work. Look." I looked in the direction of Percy, and I saw Ashlee talking to him. Percy had a stupid love-struck grin on his face, and I knew that Ashlee had started to use her charmspeak again. I was angry, but I tried to be optimistic. 

"Well it's only your first try. I guarantee that after some more, he'll be under your spell." Rebecca laughed and started to walk away from the tree that he was behind.  

"Hey, Rebecca?" I asked before she left. Rebecca turned and looked at me.  

"Yeah?" She asked.  

"Try not to use charmspeak." I told her, smiling. Rebecca smiled too, the walked away. I swear that when she walked by Percy, he was staring.

I also got out from behind my tree, and ran out of sight without being seen.  

"Hey!" Someone said. I lifted my head and saw Thalia standing in the doorway of the Zeus cabin.  

"So? How did it go?" She asked as I walked up to her.  

"Ok, I guess. I mean, Percy definitely noticed Rebecca. But as soon as she left, the Demon swooped in and took him away." Thalia crossed her arms.  

"Well then we'll need to make Rebecca flirt with Percy more often." Thalia said.  

"And we'll also need her to do it when Ashlee's in sight." Thalia had her thinking face on, then she smirked.  

"Don't worry. I know what to do."

***

"Do you see her?" I said into the walkie-talkie in my hand.  

"Um... Yeah. She's coming out of her cabin." Thalia's voice said.  

"Ok, got it. Oh, by the way, why are we using walkie-talkies?" I asked. 

"Because walkie-talkies are cool!" Thalia snapped.  

"Ok, ok. I'm going to tell Rebecca to go."  

"Yup. Ashlee should be in Percy's sight in... 37 seconds. Hurry!" I switched from talking to Thalia and started to talk to Rebecca. 

"Go now!" I said.  

"Ok, ok. I'm going." I saw Rebecca drop the walkie-talkie and sashayed to the son of Poseidon.  

"Hey, Percy." Rebecca said. She stood awfully close to Percy and twirled her long, dark hair around her finger. Percy stared at the daughter of Aphrodite.  

"H-hi Reb-becca." Percy stuttered. I let out a quiet laugh.  

"So, what's up?" Rebecca asked in a flirty tone, but I knew that she wasn't using charmspeak. I don't know how, but I can tell the difference. Percy stared at Rebecca for a few seconds.  

"The sky." He finally said. A deep blush rose to his cheeks when he realized what he said. I bit my lip to stop myself from bursting out laughing. He was such a dork. Rebecca giggled. Not an annoying girly girl giggle, but a giggle that you'd want to listen to all day. A giggle that would never come past my lips. Percy sighed and looked at Rebecca dreamily.