17. Burn Fingers

17. Burn Fingers

God did Maisie love his car - well his dad's car

Logan was going completely over the speed limit but seeing as he knew there were no speeding cameras down that way or any of Maisie's cop friends, he was just fine. And from the grin on Maisie's face as he went like a lunatic down the street, he knew it was probably a bit worth it.

"So where are we going?" Maisie asked.

"You probably won't be that impressed," Logan admitted. "This whole thing was pretty damn impulsive so I kind of just went with it."

"That's okay," Maisie said. "I like impulsive, it has charm and spontaneity, which is something everyone in this place lacks."

"Now you're talking my language. You hungry?" Logan asked. "Because, well, I was gonna do that first."

Maisie smiled. "As long as you don't take me to a bakery, we'll be just fine."

"I guessed that you wouldn't want to be near a bakery," Logan laughed. "Do you even like cakes at all anymore? Because over the couple months I've been here, I can't stand any kind of cake."

Maisie shrugged. "I mean I like cake but I suppose it's the same as if you work in a fast food place, having the smell of burgers around you all day must eventually make you not like them for chunks of time. At least that's what happens with me. Some days I can't stand eating cake."

Logan grunted in agreement. "I'm sick of fucking strudels. The amount Nick has forced on me should be illegal," Maisie laughed. "I'm serious! He's so damn proud of them that he makes half of us eat them before they finally go out to be bought."

Maisie shook her head in amusement. "I mean at least he's enthusiastic."

"Oh yeah," Logan scoffed. "Real damn enthusiastic."

"At least he's taking to community service positively," Maisie said.

Logan let out a long breath. "To be honest I kind of forgot we were doing community service. Just feels like a normal job, that we aren't getting paid for of course."

"Of course," Maisie smiled. "I kind of forgot you guys weren't permanent," she admitted. "I keep having to remind myself that your service will be over soon and then you'll go."

Logan goes quiet and then indicates to pull into a park. "Well let's just make the most of what time we've got."

Maisie looked out the window and was surprised when she came to face a park. The place was huge with a couple cars parked up in the off-road parking lot that was a mess of little stones. Trees surrounded the park, keeping it shadowed and a little hidden from the highway that was right beside the entrance gates.