24. Pipe Frosting

24. Pipe Frosting

Maisie didn't know what the hell to do with her time

The bakery was off limits as people walked in and out, removing all the broken cupboards and smashed tiles. Then people were in and out with rolls of wallpaper and new flooring. With the money that Maisie had begun to put away to redecorate the bakery and the addition of money that Tony and her mom had put together, they had finally been able to get the bakery done.

Maisie still saw it as a lost cause.

Things weren't going to go up. After a robbery, a better bakery around the corner and mediocre cooking appliances, it would be a miracle if anyone wanted to step foot in the bakery ever again.

The fact the boys weren't coming back was also making her lose faith, but she was never going to admit that.

Tony had told them all that because the bakery was shut for renovations, the guys had to finish their community service hours at the city hall. Their days were filled with cleaning every and anything they could find. Sometimes Maisie would see them briefly while they were working but otherwise they were too preoccupied.

Logan was too preoccupied.

She hadn't seen him in three days. Texts were sent back and forth but it wasn't the same. She would see them five days a week all the time but now it was as if someone snapped their fingers and everything was gone. And with the bakery being ripped up and glued back together, there was nothing around that could even remind Maisie of the time they spent together.

The flooring guys were in today and Maisie stopped by the door, watching them fix the tiles. One of the guys stood up and noticed Maisie. He smiled and walked over, wiping his forehead.

"Hey Maisie," he greeted.

"Hi Sam," Maisie said.

The two guys were brothers and only living a couple blocks over. Maisie used to babysit their little sister throughout high school for extra cash. Spending so much time hunched over school and then worried over her grandma's bakery made Maisie realize how much she had forgotten about the world outside the doors.

She was always close to the people in her neighbourhood, mostly because her grandma was. But lately she'd forgotten to do anything else but panic and worry and stress.

"How's Nikki?" Maisie asked.

"She's good, getting bigger every day," Sam smiled. "Missed you when you stopped babysitting her."