eleven

"Agent, can you come to my office immediately?" She frowned at the voice, eyebrows furrowing in concentration. Groaning, she got out of the forced embrace, pushing Shadow's arm off of her.

Lips parted, she ran a hand through her messy (h/c) hair. "Of course. Should Shadow be coming with me?" Gazing at his peaceful sleeping face, she smiled softly for the first time in years.

A pause was heard, a hesitant sigh following suit. "No." She gaped slightly at the crackly voice, but nodded nonetheless. Pushing the blankets off of her, she swung her legs over the side of the large bed, her toes grazing the cold floor.

"I'll be right down."

----

After quickly getting herself changed and waking up Shadow, she rushed to the dull office. "Sir, you asked for me?" She confirmed, opening the large door and peering inside. She strut into the room, an air of suspense building around them.

"Yes, I did. I'd like to inform you that there's a new mission which asks specifically for you." She was taken aback, cheeks flushing slightly at the thought that she was requested. "Do you remember Doctor Eggman?" After receiving an affirmative nod from the girl, he continued his spiel. "He's planning something big. From the intel we've received, Eggman has been creating a Shadow prototype." She raised an eyebrow, both intrigued and confused.

"A Shadow prototype? Like, Shadow, my partner Shadow? So it's like an android?"

"Exactly. So the plan is for you to infiltrate, defeat, and bring back the remains of the prototype."

"Okay, I guess I'll go get him then." As she turned to walk out, a nervous chuckle resounded through the commander.

He ran a hand through his thinning grey hair. "Unfortunately, Shadow cannot accompany you on this mission, as the prototypes are Shadow androids. It would be quite confusing and very difficult to defeat the correct one without casualties." He paused mysteriously. "You will be assigned a new partner for just this one mission." She groaned loudly, throwing her head back in exasperation.

"Sir, Shadow and I are very capable of carrying this out." A laugh sounded around the room.

"I remember you refusing to work with Shadow just over a week ago. And now look where we are," he gestured to them. "Don't worry, you've already heard of your new partner." She scoffed, although she listened intently. "He doesn't work for G. U. N, although we're close allies. You will be working with Sonic the Hedgehog." The office seemed to become darker, the walls becoming an ash-grey compared to their old concrete colour.

Recognition flashed across her face. "Oh. Are you sure he's fine with working with me? Do you think he'll be able to stay at my level?" She inquired, attempting to pour bitterness into her tone. She knew who he was. A year ago, he was all anyone talked about, and he still is. Sonic this, Sonic that. She used to laugh at the girls who drooled over him, insisting that he isn't all that good. Blue quills, green eyes. I've seen enough pictures for that.

"Oh agent, I'm sure he is quite capable of catching up with you." She nodded reluctantly, (h/c) hair moving with her.

I'm sorry, Shadow. "I need to go grab some things. When will I be leaving?"

"At around three this afternoon." (Y/n) gave an uncertain smile, taking her leave and mulling this over.

The hallway was bright, the pale walls becoming lighter and lighter, almost a blinding colour. So Doctor Asshole is making a Shadow prototype. Why Shadow? Oh yeah, he's the ultimate life form. I just hope this Sonic runt doesn't get in my damn way. She walked in, dazed and engulfed by her thoughts. Opening her door, she began to absentmindedly check her supplies in the closet, packing some extra ammo and a new pistol.

"Idiot, what in hell's name are you doing?" A voice boomed, sending shivers down (y/n)'s spine. She dropped what she was holding and looked at him, not realizing he was in the room when she had walked in. She tried to act as nonchalant as possible, which wasn't much of an issue for her. Slightly pushing the small cabinet back in, (e/c) met crimson as they stared at each other. The closet air had seemed to become suffocating, and she strode out, Shadow following her closely.

(Y/n) pushed her bangs back with a shaky hand. "Nothing at all! Just restocking some things. What's up?" He cocked an eyebrow, skeptical.

"Nothing," he said, searching for words until a mischievous smirk played at his lips. "Are you free later today? I need to train. Of course, defeating you wouldn't be an issue," he continued to toy with her, quite enjoying himself. This is actually enjoyable. Look at the way she bites her lip while thinking of another lie. She hasn't done this before, though. She lies seamlessly around enemies and potential targets.

Anger boiled inside of her, turning her blood into fire. "No. I'm not." I will literally beat the shit out of him when I get back. Amusement was evident on Shadow's face as he scanned hers, a dark shadow passing over it.

"Oh? And why is that?" He taunted, leaning towards her in await of her response. Is she going on a date with someone? She looked down at him, and he could almost feel himself becoming flustered under her scrutiny. Shit, I forgot she was quite a bit taller than myself.

She sighed softly. "The commander assigned me a new mission. Doctor Giant Moustache is making androids of you for some creepy fetish he has." Shadow gave a disgusted snort at her explanation, grimacing before becoming serious.

So it's not a date. "Who's your partner? The commander must've forgotten to call me down." He concluded, turning to go to talk to the old man. She grabbed his arm, turning him to face her.

"I'm assigned to Sonic. Something about it being too confusing if you and the prototype were there." She explained, agitation washing over his face.

"That faker? Over me? What the hell? We could've done fine!" He sat down on the bed, frustration eating away at his being. It took him a few minutes, and (y/n) walked over and plopped down next to him, placing a comforting hand on his shoulder. "Sorry about that." He apologized, running a hand through his dark quills. She nodded, lips curling upwards. "Stay safe. Make sure you have everything. Do not - and I repeat - do not let Sonic take the lead. He can't tell left from right."

She smiled softly to herself, brushing a (h/c) lock away from her flushed face. Is this his way of caring?

love like war - shadow x readerOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara