twelve

He looked into her eyes with an unwavering expression. "Stay away from that faker. He's too full of himself." Shadow warned, speaking the little nickname with a bitter tone.

She laughed lightly. "Like you're not?" He glared at her with intensity. Frowning, she said, "Okay, okay. I'm sorry. I'll stay away." How cute. The heartless asshole actually gives a shit about me. "I really don't think he's all that bad, though. But I guess I trust you so I'll go with your judgement."

Seeming satisfied with her answer, he let out a hum, scanning her face. Something's not right. I can feel it, as stupid as it sounds. He took in her features, as he wouldn't be seeing them for a few hours. Am I really that clingy? Soft, (h/c) hair tied into a tight ponytail, swung over one shoulder. Bright, lively, (e/c), almond shaped eyes sat under perfect eyebrows, blanketed by long eyelashes. His crimson eyes followed the bridge of her nose right down to her full, pink lips. He unconsciously licked his own, while she arched an eyebrow. Looking to her cheeks, he noticed a scar on her very prominent cheekbone, most likely from their recent mission.

"Are you alright? You've been staring at me for over a minute. Pictures do last longer, you know." He gave an annoyed grunt, moving away.

"You have something on your face." He justified, and she swiped a hand across her cheek, a playful laugh leaving her.

A knock resounded through the room and Shadow walked to the door, opening it with a harsh tug. A loud and cheery voice announced their presence. "I'm here! Shades, long time no see! Where have you been?" Shadow moved aside, and (y/n) got a better view of the visitor.

His green eyes caught her attention first. They were so green; like emeralds. His verdant orbs landed on her (e/c) ones, and his mouth fell open in surprise. "I've been working here, faker. Don't call me that stupid nickname." His tone was like poison, stinging everyone within reach.

"(Y/n) (l/n)! I take it you're my partner for this mission?" She nodded hesitantly. "Great! I'm Sonic, Sonic the Hedgehog!" He exclaimed, closing one of his eyes to form a wink and raising a thumb. She smiled halfheartedly at his enthusiastic demeanour.

Jesus Christ, is he high? He's too cheerful for people like us. We're bland and emotionless; like a canvas. "Nice to meet you. I look forward to completing this mission with you." She said dryly, offering an obviously fake grin. Shadow's eyes seemed confused, flickering from one person to the other. The two shook hands, earning another annoyed growl from Shadow.

Sonic slung an arm around Shadow's shoulders while (y/n) still sat on the bed, scrutinizing the bright blue fellow. "Shadow and I go way back. We're friends!" She forced a smile onto her face, unsure about the likelihood of what he just said. Shadow simply rolled his eyes, giving her a silent message.

He's an idiot.

Her thoughts swirled like mist. Shit, this is so awkward. I'm not sure what to do. This smile is visibly fake, but what the hell am I supposed to be doing? Hugging the bastard? "Oh, is that so?" She questioned, ignoring her aggressive internal monologue. He nodded eagerly. "To be perfectly honest, I can't see Shadow becoming friends with someone like you." Shit, shit, shit. She cursed at her own words, not meaning for them to be voiced. She held her breath, awaiting his response. He gave her a hesitant glance before giggling.

"Yeah. It took a lot of convincing on my part, believe me!" He winked again, causing her to open her mouth in protest, and he happily laughed it off. Holy. This is Shadow's girlfriend and partner? Well done, Shadow. He frowned at himself. "How long have you two been dating?" He blurted, a flustered smile forming on his lips when he was met with silence. Shadow tensed under his arm, awaiting her response.

She gaped at him, strangled noises leaving her throat. "Fucking hell. We aren't-" she began to cough, and Sonic walked over to thump her on the back while she calmed down.

"We are not dating, faker. Stop asking idiotic questions." His monotone voice completed, causing (y/n) to give him a grateful look, cheeks flushing slightly. Sonic laughed sheepishly, his hand pausing its motions.

Rubbing the back of his neck, he blushed at the close proximity between him and the gorgeous agent next to him. Oh no. "Oops, my bad. I can expect it to happen, though. You two would make an awesome couple." They grimaced at what he said.

"Thanks, I guess. I do believe we should be heading out." She urged, waving towards the clock perched on the side table. Sonic nodded, azure quills shaking with the movement. Shadow, on the other hand, scrutinized the pair, disapproval and worry crashing down on him like a tidal wave.

As Sonic stood up, he offered (y/n) a hand and she took it gratefully, and without hesitation, he scooped her into his arms with one very quick motion. "I'll take care of your girlfriend, don't you worry!" He sped off, leaving Shadow shell-shocked and (y/n) in a similar state as Sonic rushed down the halls with her holding onto him.

"Bye Shadow!" (Y/n) finally called, as a feeling of dread settled over her, and she couldn't seem to shake it off. I'll see you when I get back, Shadow.

A/n

Thanks for the large amount of support! I'm very sad to announce that this is probably my last Sonic-based fanfiction. I do not plan on writing any more, because I have ideas piling up for other fandoms!

Things like: A NEW Levi Ackerman x Reader, finishing my other Attack On Titan book, and my newest addition, War Of Hormone! Don't forget to comment and vote!