Chapter 2//: I guess I'm trying out for The Choosing??

[E D I T E D]

♕✿~♕✿~Chapter 2//: I guess I'm trying out for The Choosing?♕✿~♕✿~

When I wake up the next morning, thoughts of the Choosing rush through my mind and I groan. I had to decide today: was I going to try out for it or not?

As I am going back and forth from one answer to another, a knock comes at my door and mom barges in. Obviously, she hadn't forgotten our deal. Her hands are on her hips and her eyes are expectant. I stare back at her, still uncertain about my answer.

"I can see that you're still uncertain, but I have a deal for you that will surely convince you to try out for the Choosing," mom says, making me perk up in interest. I wonder what this 'deal' was.

"Your father and I talked last night, and we agreed to allow you to keep half of the money you earn from performances for yourself," mom tells me. My eyes widen at this and I shoot up in bed, looking at my mom in surprise and shock. She has a mischievous smile on her face as she says, "but only if you try out for the Choosing."

Of course this was the way my mom would try to convince me to put my name in. She knows I have wanted to start my own savings account for the longest of times so that by the time I was done with my homeschool education, I could buy that beautiful grand piano that has been taunting me from the music store window for the last 3 years.

I narrow my eyes at my mom as I think about what she has said. I was seriously tempted by her deal, especially because my dream of owning a new piano would be one step closer if I agreed to put my name into the pool for the Choosing. I think back to the conversation I had had with Macy last night. There was a very small chance that I would actually get in. I mean, miniscule. So there would definitely be no harm in putting a slip of paper with my name on it into the pool of candidates. And I would earn my own money from all of this as well and get that grand piano!

I smile to myself at that thought. It would be very nice to keep some of my own money. All I had to do was fill out the form and turn it in. Then when I don't get chosen, my mom will move on and I can have some money and a piano after all of this craziness is over.

"Okay, mom, I'll try out," I tell my mom. She claps her hands and smiles as she hurries me out of bed. I laugh a bit as I grab the form off of my desk and race after my mom down the stairs to the kitchen. We pass the living room where Sydney is practicing her flute and dad is sketching a design of an art piece, a sculpture for one of his clients this week. They both stop what they're doing and look up at mom and I as we head towards the dining table.

"She's trying out for the Choosing!" Mom whispers loudly to them. Sydney lets out an ear-piercing scream and I almost trip as I hear it. Dad, thankfully, doesn't try to sound like he's being murdered, and instead stares up at me in surprise. I shrug at him and gesture to mom, indicating that this is mostly for her own amusement. Dad smiles in understanding, going back to his sketches. Sydney, however, abandons her practicing and places her flute down gently on her chair before rushing towards me.

She grabs my arm and shakes it wildly. "I knew you were going to try out, I knew it! I can't believe you're going to be the queen one day!" she chatters excitedly. I can't help but smile at her enthusiasm.

"Sydney, I'm not going to be queen one day. I'm probably not going to be put into the competition and even if I was, I wouldn't catch the prince's eyes," I tell her matter-of-factly. But mom and Sydney just shake their heads.

"Of course you will! How could Prince Ahren ignore such a beautiful lady like yourself, Madison?" Mom tells me confidently with a smile.

"Madi, you'll most definitely win over the prince," Sydeny tells me, just as confident as mom.