Chapter 30//: The Elites

[ E D I T E D ]

♕✿~♕✿~Chapter 30//: The Elites♕✿~♕✿~

I toss and turn in my bed trying to get some sleep, but I finally sigh and push myself up from the plush bed that I have slept in for a month. I start a bit as this information processes in my mind. A month spent in the WhiteFire palace. I think back to when I first arrived here determined to leave the moment I stayed here for a month. A smile forms on my lips. I've changed since then, and I'm a bit surprised to realize that I want to stay here for as long as possible. To help Ahren find his bride, of course.

I swallow and grimace at the thick dryness of my throat. My throat was parched. I sit up from my bed, stretching before going to my door. The other girls might just order their maids to get water for them, but I didn't want to bother any of my maids.

As soon as I open my door, my eyes slide over to the rigid figure of Officer Nolle. His cryptic words from earlier rush into my mind, and I frown in confusion as I try to figure out the meaning of his words. But like before I can't come to a reasonable conclusion.

"Late night walk, Lady Madison?" Officer Nolle asks me. I force myself to erase my frown and replace it with a small smile. "No. Just thirsty," I reply. Officer Nolle nods but then hesitates. "Do you need an escort to the kitchen?" I know he's just asking me this because of his guard training, but I can see the tired look in his eyes. I shake my head. "I'm fine, Officer Nolle." He nods once more. I think he expects me to leave, but I stop before turning around to face him.

"Officer Nolle, you look too tired. You know nothing will get to me when I'm in my room, so you're welcome to retire to your bed," I advise him, slightly hoping he will take the bait and leave. He hesitates, his eyes moving from me to the floor and then back to me.

"King's order," he grumbles, not bothering to hide his annoyance. I smile a bit in amusement.

"Just go and sleep. You've been dealing with me for too long," I tell him playfully. He hesitates as I roll my eyes. "Oh come on. You didn't listen to the king's orders when that man came to escort me to the ball last week," I remind him. To my surprise, he flinches at the mention of this though I don't know why.

I sigh. "We're both tired of having to watch each other, and I'd really like some privacy after having none for weeks. Can't a girl have that in the palace?" I tell him, a bit exasperated. Officer Nolle finally breaks out of his serious attitude, glaring at me when I tell him this. A grin breaks across my face.

"I'll take up your offer. Only because you're annoying me constantly, and I can't wait to get away from you," he tells me with a smirk. I roll my eyes. "Oh, ha ha," I say mockingly. Officer Nolle raises his hand at me in a mock farewell and I do the same. But before he disappears around the corner to go back to his guard's chamber, I call out to him.

I can hear him groan as he turns to face me. "I thought you said I could be free of you if I left," he tells me with slight annoyance and amusement.

I smile. Our bickering reminds me of the many times I argued with Sydney. "I just wanted to ask what your first name was," I ask him with curiosity. I only knew he was of House Nolle because of his last name.

He stays silent before saying, "Lucas." Lucas turns away from me and turns sharply around the corner, disappearing from my line of sight.

I repeat his name in my head over and over as I head to the kitchen for some water. Lucas. Lucas. Lucas. I wonder why he said what he said earlier. It was still really bugging me.

I open the door to the kitchen, not expecting much except for a dark kitchen with maybe a few of the cooks working late into the night. But my expectations prove to be wrong when I push open the door. My mouth drops open as I take in the sight before me, unable to form words. Finally, I force one name out, still quite not believing it but feeling happy and excited.