Chapter 29//: A walk to remember

[ E D I T E D ]

♕✿~♕✿~Chapter 29//: A walk to remember♕✿~♕✿~

"I'll stop torturing you now. You are both free to go."

I sigh in relief as I stand up from the desk, stretching my arms above my head. I'm pretty sure I just heard a bone crack there.

For the past hour and a half, Caroline has been spouting history lesson after history lesson to Addaline and I. It was tiring and boring, and I couldn't will myself to stay awake for very long.

What? I generally enjoy reading about the history of countries, but you can't blame me for not being interested in hearing about how the Silvers took over the world and subjugated Reds.

It feels weird as Addaline and I leave the Lessons room, just the two of us. I turn back, about to talk to Rose, when I remember she's not here anymore. She left the competition about a week ago, and I haven't seen her around the palace at all. I felt an ache inside me; I wasn't going to lie, I missed my friend terribly.

"Well, I need some sleep and food. Good bye, Madi." Addaline waves at me, and I smile and wave back. When she turns the corner, I purse my lips as I start to mindlessly walk up the stairs leading to my bedroom. What was I even going to do? I felt incredibly bored. Usually after Lessons, I hang out with Rose and Addaline. Obviously I couldn't hang out with rose, and Addaline was taking a nap now.

My mind drifted to Ahren. I haven't talked to him since the night of the ball, which was last week. I felt myself missing our talks. It felt like I was barely able to talk to him and see him.

An idea popped in my head but I hesitated, faltering in my steps. No, I couldn't do that. That was a bit selfish and sounded clingy. But...I sighed. I really did want to see Ahren.

I rush back to my room, giving a curt nod to Officer Nolle who still stands guard at my door. I don't get why since the other girls don't have their guards with them anymore. The king decided it was safe to let the girls roam around since there have been no disturbances this past week. The rebels have been strangely quiet, both the Scarlet Guard and the Rogue Dawn.

Walking into my room, I go to my desk. Picking up a piece of paper and a pencil, I jot down a quick note. It's quite short, so I spend the most of my time rereading the note trying to decide if this is a good idea or not. Finally, I convince myself to just go with the plan.

Stepping out into the hall, I wait until I see a maid round the corner. I gesture to her to come over and she rushes to me, looking eager to serve.

"What can I do for you, Lady Madison?" the young girl asks me, excitement laced through her voice.

I hand her the note. "Could you give this to Prince Ahren?" The maid's eyes brighten and she nods quickly. I smile at her. "Thanks." As soon as I say that, the maid zooms off to go find Ahren. She'll probably look at my note before giving it to Ahren, to be honest. I wouldn't blame her for being curious.

I roam the halls, my hands clasped behind my back as I hum a simple tune I learned a couple of years back from Dad. I continue to do this for what feels like thirty minutes before I hear the scuffling of feet. I look up and stop humming as a figure rounds the corner. I can't help the smile that forms on my face as I come face to face with Ahren.

"Darling, what is it?" I grimace at the nickname, the cringe being too real. Ahren notes my expression and chuckles. I realize then he's wearing his training suit and looks a bit out of breath. Ahren notices my confused stares and starts to explain himself.

"I came as soon as I was let out of Training. In your note, you just sounded so urgent." He frowns a bit as he clasps my hands. My eyes immediately drop to our hands, a stupid blush creeping up my neck. "Is something wrong, Madi?"