I'm Just Not Sure You're Right For Her

Dedicated to hedwig679 for being the first person to vote on my story, thank you so much!

Lily and I sat on the cold floor of the girls bathroom. It was way past midnight but we had to wait for Marlene and Flora to fall asleep before sneaking out of the dorm.

"Lumos." Lily whispered, casting a small light from the end of her wand. She yawned loudly before turning to me with anticipation dancing in her eyes.

"We'd better watch out for Myrtle." I whispered, eyeing the door of Myrtle's toilet door.

She nodded and I began telling her of our game of wizards chess and how Remus and I beat Sirius before explaining that we went dueling. I missed out the part about the room of requirement. I'm not sure why but I felt the need to keep it a secret, even from my best friend.

"And then he said something about the dark lord not being fair?" I whispered.

She frowned at the broken tile on the floor between us.

"Come to think of it, I have heard of him." She said, her eyebrows knitted together.

I watched her, willing her to continue.

"James let something slip." She said, as though that were enough justification.

"James! When have you been bothering with James?" I asked.

"Shhh." She said, eyeing up Myrtle's toilet door again.

I wondered briefly whether or not ghosts sleep or if Myrtle was just wandering around the castle. She has been known to go into the prefect's bathroom for company. I silently hoped that she was in there, rather than in here listening to our every word.

I raised my eyebrows at her, waiting for an answer, to which she raised hers back at me.

We had a brief starring match before Lily looked down at the floor and yawned.

"Come on, let's go to bed."

<><><>

I woke suddenly, as though cold water had been thrown over me.

I looked around at the dorm room, flooded with light yet Lily, Flora and Marlene were still sleeping.

For a moment I panicked. We were going to be late to lessons! They must have already started! Then I remembered that today was actually a Saturday.

I slowly climbed out of bed, cautious not to make any noise to wake the girls before descending the old wooden stairs towards the Gryffindor common room.

In front of the fire sat James Potter, alone.

"Hey." I said, making sure to announce my presence before approaching him.

His head quickly swivelled around before a look of confusion swept across his face.

"Seren?" He asked, pushing his glasses further up his nose.

I nodded and headed over to the fire to sit next to him.

I smiled at him.

"Sorry, it's just, you never talk." He added awkwardly, scratching the back of his neck.

"Yeah, I'm trying to overcome that." I said quietly, keeping my eyes fixed on the floor.

"No no no, don't take it the wrong way! A little added confidence is great!" He added, smiling enthusiastically as though to reassure me.

I glanced up at him and smiled in return.

"So, what has you awake at eight am on a Saturday morning?" I asked him, trying to make conversation.