The Misadventures as House Mates

So this is the first chapter of House Mates :) I'm going to try to upload as often as I can, but with all the other stories that I'm hoping to work on, idk.

Anyway, this is kind of an introductory chapter to Ryan and Sagan's parents, so bear with me if it isn't all that exciting.

For those of you that are reading this first, it would make a lot more sense if you went and read The Misadventures in A Cargo Container.

Natalie Portman as Elena ----------------->

Enjoy :)

                              ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

     “We’re doing what now?!” I glared at my mother, completely dumbfounded. Elena was fidgeting, her fingertips doing a drum roll on the countertop.

     “We’re moving Sagan. Harley asked me to marry him in the time that you were missing. You’ll still go to the same school and all that, but we’re moving in with him…and his son.”

     My jaw hit the floor. A few moments of silence passed before I could get my jaw working again.

     “He has a son and you didn’t think it was prudent to tell me? Mama, come on! I know I just got back, but this is nuts. No consultation with me? No asking me how I feel about all of this?”

     “Is this what this is about? You’re hurt over the fact I didn’t consult you?” Elena’s forest green eyes, a shade or two darker than mine, were starting to flash with her rising temper.

     Having always been honest with my mother, I couldn’t deny this. “Hell yeah. All we’ve ever had is each other since Dad died. And now you’re telling me that I have to just accept the fact that I’m moving in with a guy that I barely know? And his son?”

     “You know him Sagan. And we’re moving in, with or without theatrics. Now start packing.”

     Groaning, I turned my back on her and started up the stairs. I had thought keeping the fact we’d been abducted and thrust into a cargo container was hard. This was going to be hell.

Ryan

“Why is your girlfriend moving in? Couldn’t you have waited a little longer? I haven’t even met her son and you’re expecting me to share my home with him? I’m not living with a homophobe.”

     Harley, standing at 6’ 2”, looked up at me, his dark brown eyes so much like mine, narrowed in anger. “Elena is now my fiancée and we’ve being dating for a year. I think it’s about time we lived together before we actually marry. Her son is a senior too so I’m sure you’ll know who he is by the time they get here tomorrow morning with the first of their stuff. Now go upstairs and clean out the guest room. I have to clean out the garage.”

     “You’re not going to tell me who her son is, are you?

     “And ruin the surprise a year in the making? I wouldn’t dream of it.” Laughing, I watched my dad’s retreating back. He’d been so depressed after my mom had shipped off elsewhere, living whatever dream it was that she had. I wasn’t going to give him hell about it, but I wasn’t going to make it easy on the son either.

     I went up to clean the guest room out, wondering how the rest of this summer was going to play out before senior year.

A knock on the door followed by the doorbell the next morning jarred me from my sleep. Frowning, I paused long enough to grab a pair of pants.

     Trundling down the stairs, I rubbed the sleep from my eyes. Who on God’s green Earth would be up at whatever ungodly hour this was?

     Opening the front door, I leaned against the door jamb before taking a look at our early morning visitors.

     A woman with straight brown hair pulled back into a ponytail stood there with a purse slung over her shoulder and a box in her hands.

     With a smile she said, “Ah you must be Harley’s son, Ryan. My son’s getting some other boxes, mind helping him?”

     By the time she finished speaking, my dad was standing next to me, rubbing a hand through his hair. “Elena, you’re here earlier than I expected.”

     Raising an eyebrow, I turned to my father. Shaking my head, I concluded at that moment, my entire life was about to be turned upside down.

      Stepping back to let Elena in, I looked over the top of her head to stare at my father. His gaze was riveted on Elena, a small smile playing about his lips. Maybe this change wouldn’t be so bad after all.

Ryan

Shuffling boxes around, I grabbed ones that were marked with my name. Backing up, I turned and nearly bumped into someone.

     “Sorry man, didn’t see you coming around the truck.”

      The sound of his voice had me dropping the boxes in shock. “You’re the son?”

Ryan just stared then started laughing, his bare chest and abdominals flexing. He had me distracted with that display until he said slightly breathless, “I could say the same thing. My dad refused to tell me and with reason.”

      Just staring at him, I didn’t know what to think. Shock, followed by triumph, followed by nervousness flashed through me with a mix of other emotions. I hadn’t had a chance to tell my mother that I had fallen in love with the guy standing before me. I didn’t know whether or not to pretend that I hated him in the presence of our parents.

     Ryan, being unhelpful, just stood there, an eyebrow raised. “Tongue tied Sagan? I know I’m sexy, but that’s nothing to be ashamed of.”

     My mother chose that moment to return to the U-Haul, “Now, I know that you boys aren’t exactly on the best of terms but try not to rip each other’s throats out please.”

     Ryan glanced at my mother as she dragged some boxes toward her then turned to stare at me. His lips turned up, the look in his eyes possessive, the expression that I had come to associate with him jumping my bones the first chance he got.

     Gulping, I gathered up the dropped boxes. I felt his gaze piercing my back, leaving me with the knowledge that by the end of the day, he’d have something planned for me.

     All the while, I was silently begging for mercy.

                           -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So what do you think? What will Ryan have planned?

Comment, vote fan and whatever else it is you readers do :)