House Mates: Two

I'm loving this story and I'm only on the second chapter. I'm dedicating this to S-hawk because I was able to bounce my ideas off of her and really get the first part going. Thanks XD.

This is a pic of what I imagine their house to be ---------->

Anyway, Enjoy :)

                               -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 Sagan

By lunch time, I was alternating between hiding in my new room and staying in the presence of my mother. I promised myself it was because I wanted to get things unloaded and unpacked.

     Even to me, those excuses were pretty unconvincing. Ryan was almost like a silent menace in the background, knowing me well enough that despite my rather childish antics, he was affecting me in a delicious way.

     So when I was up in my room, unpacking some clothes, I groaned when my mother yelled up the stairs, “Lunch time boys. I know you two will forget to eat, so no arguments.”

     I was so not ready to face my new house mate…who also happened to be my boyfriend…that I haven’t yet told my mother about…

     Fisting the shirt I currently had in my hands, I slowly and deliberately set it down. Turning, I nearly jumped out of my skin when I saw a silent Ryan standing in my open doorway. Without taking his eyes off of me, he called back, “Be down in a few, Elena.”

     Then his voice was direct at me, “So, Sagan, why so shy suddenly? We’ve shared housing before,” he stalked closer, forcing me to back up to the bed, his voice dropping as he continued, “and we’ve shared the same bed. Hell, we’ve even shared the same body heat.”

     His eyes sparked as I scooted back on the bed, my heart hammering in my chest. Figuring I might as well be honest, I rushed to say, “I haven’t told my mother about me not hating you…let alone the fact that we’re dating. Um, she kind of still thinks we hate each other and I don’t whether or not to continue with that, or say we’ve made up.”

     “You mean we’ve made out.” Grimacing at his humor, I dropped my head in my hands.

     “Ryan, not helping. What do we do?”

     His hand found his way onto my back, warm and comforting but I didn’t look up.

     After a few seconds, he said, “My dad knows I’m gay and he also knows you are too. He’s okay with it, not that I really gave him a choice. Though I have to admit, I haven’t told my dad about us yet either…but he’ll figure it out soon enough. He knows I like you, and have liked you since the day I met you.”

     That had my head snapping up, shock replacing my feeling of confusion. Ryan laughed at my expression but continued with the confession, “I came home in a rage that day only to find out that my own father had managed to talk the girl he had been courting for a few months into a date. I was pissed because I couldn’t have the guy I wanted, but he had managed to get who he wanted, if only for the night. So I started ranting at him, ending with me coming out to him and my confession that I had the hots for a guy who was uninterested. Which had never happened to me before. Of course he was shocked as hell, but he just accepted it. Grew up with hippie parents so I think that's why he was so accepting. Spread the love and all that.”

     By now, my mouth was hanging open, caught somewhere between wanting to ask how the hell this was supposed to help with our situation and just waiting to hear the rest of it. Ryan was now just grinning at me, genuinely amused.

     “I’m getting there, just thought I’d share something is all. Anyway, if you want, in front of your mom we can still pretend that we hate each other. And maybe a few months from now we can show her that we’re starting to get along, kind of a tentative friendship type thing. Though my dad will see right through it because he knows me, but if it’s just him, we don’t have to worry about pretending or anything.”

     My mouth was still hanging open but I was saved from having to say anything when my mother called up the stairs, irritation thick in her tone, “Boys, get down here. Don’t make me come up there and drag you down here by your ears.”

     Face palming; I stood up telling Ryan, “She’ll actually do it. Don’t underestimate her.” Glancing at him on my way out, I shook my head. How the hell was this supposed to work?

Ryan

Gazing after him, I chuckled. Sagan was still so shy. Though I wasn’t sure how I felt about him not telling his mother about me. Granted, we had only just gotten back from getting out of the cargo container. But still…

     Like an old movie reel, images began flashing through my head.

     After the doors had opened, Sagan and I stumbled out laughing and breathing deeply of the fresh air that smelled strongly of ocean brine. After looking around, we had found out we were in a private shipyard in Galveston off the Gulf of Mexico. We were over six hours from Austin, our home city.

     When we had managed to get out of the ship yard without being caught, we’d stopped the first person and asked to borrow their cell phone. It had taken a few tries before an older woman with a kind face had finally agreed.

     The date had been August 4th; we’d been in the cargo container for 62 days. Around two months. We’d stared at each other before finally placing a call to Sagan’s home, knowing that his mom wasn’t going to be home most likely. We were right.

     And Sagan’s eyes had filled with tears as his mother’s voice went through the standard “Sorry we missed your call,” recording but he had disconnected before the beep.

     After handing the phone back, we’d walked and talked about what we were going to do. We finally agreed on calling the cab service, saying we wanted to pay in cash. Once we had briefly explained our situation, the driver had been pretty sympathetic and agreed to take us all the way to Austin.

     Of course we’d had to pay extra for it once we’d finally arrived at my house, and I had raided my dad’s emergency cash. At least there was no luggage to worry about.

     That had been a week ago, and my dad had been pissed with both my disappearance and abrupt reappearance and that I had raided the cash, but when I had said it wasn’t under my control, he’d backed off. He knew about my predilection of being in control of a situation.

     All he’d said was, “When you feel like sharing, you know I’m here Ryan.”

     Eventually I would tell him because I had to, but not yet, not until Sagan told Elena that we were dating and when we finally decided to tell our parents about the cargo container.

     I’d talk to Sagan about that too, but later.

     I had a date to set up with our parents so that Sagan and I had the house to ourselves for the night. My dad would understand.

     With that thought, I felt a possessive grin slide across my face, and finally went down stairs for lunch. I wasn’t about to test Elena when it came to dragging me down the stairs by my ear.

                                       -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was this more indepth with the parents? I'm thinking about doing a chapter in their perspective but that's kind of up in the air right now. And as I write, you'll learn more about them, so keep faith!

Comment, vote fan and whatever else it is you readers do :)