prologue

ARIEL SUMMERS walked out of the beam of light she had came down from. Her beautiful light, long brown hair flew behind her as the wind in Mystic Falls picked up. She was here for one reason: to protect that one that is broken. She didn't know who exactly, but they had told her she would know when she saw him/her. The connection would be strong with that person; Ariel was willing to die for the person who she had to protect.

Ariel walked out into the open and saw she was in a little town. There were shops and cafe's at every corner, one caught her eye and that was the Mystic Grill. She walked inside and the place was very crowded. Luckily, she had found a booth in the back and sat down. Ariel studied the people in this restaurant, seeing if any caught her eye. There was nothing though. She did not feel any sort of connection to anyone in this place.

A boy with blue eyes came up to her with a note pad in his hands. "Hello my name is Matt and welcome to the Mystic Grill, are you ready to order?"

Ariel stared into his bright blue eyes; maybe he was the one. Matt looked behind him to see if she was staring at somebody else, but he noticed the girl was staring right into his eyes. Matt cleared his throat and Ariel shook her head, embarrassed that she frightened the human a little.

"Uh, sorry it's just your eyes–"

Matt grinned, "Yeah everyone comments about them. It's fine though, but are you ready to order or should I give you a couple of minutes?"

"I'll just have a small basket of fries and a water please," Ariel said setting her hands on the table. "My name's Ariel by the way; I'm new."

Matt wrote her order down. "Nice to meet you Ariel. Mystic Falls is a nice place, just don't hang out with the wrong people."

Ariel furrowed her eyebrows at his last sentence, but Matt quickly walked away. If Ariel didn't know anything, she would believe he meant the druggies and robbers here. But she knew that this place was full of the supernatural; this Matt kid must know about them. The tone of his voice showed that he had a deeper meaning behind those words he said about hanging out with the wrong people.

Matt had brought back the fries and water. He was about to leave, but noticed the little scar on her neck; it looked like angel wings. Ariel looked up when he sat down.

"Aren't you supposed to be working?" Ariel asked eating a fry.

"My shift's almost over so you're my last customer. Plus, if you're going to be attending Mystic Falls High School I could be the person to show you around," Matt offered.

Ariel hadn't even thought of the concept of school. She just knew to find the one she needed to protect; now more things were popping up in her mind that she didn't even think about. Where would she live? Where would she get her money? How the hell was she going to survive here?

Ariel shook those thoughts out of her mind and looked back up at Matt, "I actually have no idea what I'm going to do. My um – my family didn't want me so they just sent me here. I don't have anywhere to stay or any money. My life basically sucks right now."

"You could stay at my place. I have plenty of room because my sister, well she died a while ago and my mom is a no show."

Ariel smiled at his offer. "Aw Matt that's so sweet, but I can't take that offer. I just met you."

Matt chuckled, "Don't worry I'm not some psycho person or whatever. I get lonely in my house anyways, I could use some company."

Ariel thought about the offer for a moment. Matt was a genuinely nice person, he made a good first impression on the angel. "Yes, I will Matt. Thank you so much."

Matt slid out of the booth. "Okay, well I'll take you back to my house after I get my paycheck. Just stay put okay? Fries are on the house."

Matt quickly walked away and into the back of the restaurant. Ariel sighed and looked around the Mystic Grill one last time, seeing if that special person could be in here. Sadly they weren't, but she did spot a raven-haired man who was looking at her intently.

Matt came back up to her and she got out of the booth. "You ready to go?"

Ariel nodded and followed Matt out the front door. As they were walking towards the car, she felt a presence following them. Ariel turned around quickly and pinned the man against a car.

Matt turned around quickly and his eyes widened. "Ariel what the hell are you doing?"

"Protecting you from this creep," She said holding his neck to the ground.

Matt sighed and pulled Ariel up, "That's not some creep, it's my kind-of-friend Damon. Damon meet Ariel."

Damon stood up and rubbed his neck, "That girl has a hell of a grip."

Ariel noticed the ring on his finger and remembered the words her fellow angels told her when she came down: 'stay away from the dead who walk among the living'.

"You're a vampire," She mumbled looking at Damon.

"How do you know about him?" Matt asked.

"Because I'm an angel and I'm here to protect the broken one."

Damon walked up to her. "And who may that be?"

"I don't know," She sighed. "But all I know is that I'll meet him/her soon."
__________

i'm so excited for this book oh my god. my baby kol deserves more love. don't worry, ariel and matt will have a brother/sister relationship because ariel basically has no one as of now.

NOTE: i will start this story whenever i find time. i have to watch the episodes and write and with school coming up that might be hard. but i'll try my best :). i just need to finish a story or two first before this one

make sure to vote and comment :)

-brooke