7

There was a low rumble in the distance, the first indication of the storm to come. I lie in bed, listening to the thunder come closer, long rolling rumbling for now.

I wonder if the kids are still asleep.

I pull the blankets back, stepping out of bed, I quietly make my way to each of the kids rooms. I smile as I see each of them still asleep.

I hope the storm doesn't wake them.

There's a chill in the air as the trees move outside. I wrap my arms around myself as I walk to my bedroom. I find a jumper sitting on the back of my desk chair and I put it on. I stand in front of my bedroom window, watching the storm.

Within minutes, flashes of lightning appear on the horizon, a quick, sudden burst briefly illuminating the long, low bank of menacing dark grey clouds moving ever so slowly in my direction. I watch, fascinated by the dichotomy of light and dark.

I love storms.

Then I hear small feet make their way to my room. A loud rumble overhead makes me jump. I turn in time to see my kids enter the room. Harley, Ashley and Gisele run over to me.

"I'm scared, Mum." Ashley says, hugging my leg.

I look at them. "Let's spend the night in the basement, it will be much quieter."

I turn to the window once more and see a bolt of lightning hit the road outside my house.

Ashley flips the switch on the light, but it's not working.

I pick up my phone and turn on the flashlight. "I've got light, Ashley."

The light illuminates the dark house. Harley, Ashley, Gisele and I walk down to the basement. A bolt of lightning illuminates the house as it hits the ocean behind the house.

When we get to the basement I set the beds up for us and pull out blankets. I tuck the kids in and kiss each of them. I turn the light off and put my phone on silent. Then I place it next to the pillow. I fall asleep.

***

I wake to a slight pounding in my head.

I'm not feeling too good.

I massage my head, hoping to dull the headache.

My phone is vibrating next to me.

I look at the caller ID before answering it.

Me: Hello, Noah.

Noah: Did I wake you?

Me: Yeah, what time is it?

Noah: It's after 10:30.

Me: Oh! Why are you calling?

The kids are going to miss school.

Noah: I was calling about dinner.

I forgot about that.

Me: OK,

Noah: I can't make it. I was hoping that we could do lunch instead?

Me: I'm not cooking. Can you bring something with you?

Noah: Yes, are the kids at home?

Me: Yes, we slept in the basement last night during the storm.

Noah: How did the kids handle their first major storm?

Me: They were scared.

Noah: They will get used to it.