°Chapter 2°

After my mother and I left the hotel, we were quickly on our way. "So, where are we going, Eomma?" I asked. "Oh, you know. Nowhere special. We're just going to go out and have a nice mother-daughter day. We'll go shopping for a few outfits and shoes, grab some yummy ice cream at the park, or-ooh. I know! We can go see that new movie that just came out!" she rambled on excitedly. I chuckled slightly at her antics before saying, "You're so excited. And you're being extra generous today. What's the special occasion?" My mother and I weren't rich, but we also weren't poor either. We were in the higher part of the middle class. Even though we had quite a bit of money, we tried to refrain from spending it unnecessarily because there may be a time when we need the money (like right now, for instance). So hearing her offer to spend money (a lot of money at that) for our own leisurely pleasures was something almost unheard of, especially since we had just spent a lot of money on fumigating our home.

"Oh, there's no real reason. I just figured it'd be a nice change of pace," she replied to me, "and I suppose you can probably take a guess as to why I had you pack your bags. The pest control people called me a few days ago and they told me that they were finished with the fumigation. They also told me that it would be a few more days before we could return home because they wanted to cleanse the house and air of the poison so that it would be safe for us to live in." (A/N: I'm not sure if this is actually how this happens) As she spoke, she would take her eyes off the road to glance at me every once in a while. "Well, we're able to go back today! We'll be heading that way in a few hours; by then, the air should be plenty cleared. And, after we finish our nice little girl's day out, we'll stop by that nice little bakery in town and pick up some delicious pastries. We'll have them for dessert after the big 'Welcome Home' dinner I'm going to cook for us. Doesn't that sound absolutely wonderful, Minyoungie?" By now, she was bouncing up and down in her seat, and she wasn't the only one. "Really? We can finally go back home? What a relief!" I said to her with a large grin. "Ah, you're telling me. Staying in that hotel was beginning to burn a large hole in my wallet. I was afraid that if we had stayed any longer, we would go broke." I couldn't help but give a small giggle. "I can't wait to get back home. It feels like we haven't been there for a full lifetime." I said staring out of my window, watching the scenery outside of the car pass by.

Silence fell upon us for a few minutes before I remembered something. "Hey, Eomma," I said. "Hmm?" "You never told me what it was," I said to her. "What 'what' was?" she replied back in a confused tone. "The surprise," I said, "You never told me what it was." "Well, if I told you what the surprise was, it wouldn't be a surprise." she looked over at me and smiled that playful smile of hers. "You'll just have to wait and see," was the last thing that was said before the car went silent once again. The only thing that could be heard was the low hum of the radio playing.

->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->->

Time Skip
5 Hours Later

My mother and I spent quite a few hours shopping and walking around, and we also bought a few things. We did almost everything she said we would do. We went shopping at a few clothing and shoe stores, walking around, and we even got ice cream at the park as well. However, we didn't get to watch a movie because Eomma wanted to have enough time to stop by the bakery to get pastries and cook dinner at home, which I was pretty okay with. I was just extremely excited to get home after having not seen it for several weeks. And she even made up for the movie by buying some bread and walking to the large pond in the middle of the park to feed the ducks and squirrels.

After all our fun was over, we left to the bakers' to look for goodies. While we were checking out, my mother started up a conversation with the ajumma behind the checkout counter. She told the ajumma about how we were finally able to move back into our house and that the termites were officially gone for good, to which the ajumma said was absolutely fantastic and decided to give us the best and freshest pastries she had as congratulations. And the best part is that she gave us a discount and only made us pay half the price. I'm sure you're wondering why the ajumma didn't look at my mom like she was crazy for telling her all about our termite infestation problems. Well, it's because everyone already knows about it. It's no secret that our home is also the (used-to-be) home of termites. We're always having problems and there are at least five different extermination companies that show up at our house every six months. And it also doesn't help that we live in the oldest house in our area, and, quite possibly, all of South Korea. It's only natural that the happenings of our home are common knowledge; everyone's just curious as to how that thing is still standing after all these decades, myself included.