°Chapter 5°

Time Skip
A Few Hours Later

We drove on for a few hours, only stopping to get out at that nice bakery in town to get delicious pastries and to use the bathroom a few times. While we were driving, Eomma told me a bit about her past with her friend and all of the fun things they did when they were younger. I had a nice time listening to my mother's stories. I had always loved to listen to stories about my mother's childhood. It was my favorite thing to do when I was younger, right next to listening to stories about my father's childhood.

It's wasn't long before we made it to our destination. We pulled in to the side of the road and parked behind another car that I noticed had clearly just pulled in not too long before we did. I looked up at the house and my jaw dropped. IT WAS HUGE!!! "Eomma, are you sure we have the right place?" I ask and look over to her only to see her staring at the house in awe. "I'm not sure, Minyoung. The number reads 142. Let's get out and see," was her reply.

We got out of our car just as someone from the car in front of us got out of theirs. It was a man, and he seemed to be around the age of my mother. "Hello!" my mother called walking over to them as I followed close behind. "My name is Lim Seohyun." She bowed to them then gestured to me saying, "And this is my daughter Park Minyoung." "Hello," I said quietly and bowed to them. "Ah, my name is Oh Gidong. And this is my daughter, Oh Hani," the man said as he bowed. His daughter got out of the car and said 'hello' while giving us a smile. I smiled back and noticed that she was around my age.

"Can I ask you a question? Do you know if this is the home of the Baek family? I'm a friend of the wife, Hwang Guemhee. She's offered to let my daughter and me stay with her and her family while we work through hard times." Eomma said. "Oh~so you were the ones I've heard so much about," Gidong-ssi said. My mother gave him a confused look before he begins to further explain. "You and your daughter are all over the news. I'm sorry for the loss of your home, but I'm very glad to see that the both of you are okay," he said.

"The news isn't the only place I've heard of you from. I've also been given a wonderful offer to stay with a family while my daughter and I work through hard times as well. That family just so happens to be the one you are looking for. My old friend, Baek Soo Chang, has recently informed me that we wouldn't be the only guests. He said that his wife also had a friend that needed help. It's clear to me that you are that friend." "Oh. It's very nice to meet you and your lovely daughter, Oh Gidong-ssi." my mother said to him "Oh, no, the pleasure is all ours. And please, just call me Gidong. We'll be living together soon; there's really no need to be so formal." Gidon-ssi told Eomma. Eomma simply nodded to him before he turned to face me.

"And you, Minyoung. Please call me whatever you like." I nodded my head before asking, "Would it be alright if I called you in a more respectful manner for the time being? I don't feel comfortable addressing my elders in such an informal way." He seemed a bit confused but was okay with my decision. "It's a trait she managed to pick up from her father when she was younger. He was always a respectful man, even when he was with people he was familiar with." Eomma let out a chuckle.

"Oh! You're married then?" Gidong-ssi asked. My mother began to look a bit saddened at that question before answering. "Ah, no.... I'm widowed. My husband passed in a terrible car crash some years ago." "Oh." he muttered, "I'm sorry for asking. I, of all people, should know the feeling. I lost my wife to cancer. I shouldn't have asked such a personal question." "No. It's okay. There's no way you could have possibly known. And I'm sorry for the loss of your wife," Eomma said to him with a soft smile.

An awkward silence fell upon us not long after, Hani and I having not said much throughout the duration of the conversation. Hani's father clapped his hands and interrupted the silence. "Well! You two must be completely exhausted. We should see if we're at the right house." He looked around for a minute before spotting a speaker box outside of the opening of the gate. "Ah~It says 'Baek Soochang'. This is the place," he said excitedly referring to the words beside the speaker box and walked towards it. We all followed behind and watched as he presses the button while doing some strange hand-gun movement. Almost immediately, we hear a woman's voice.