°Chapter 3°

Eeeeeeeeeeeerrrk!!!!

Eomma and I slowly looked at each other, and you could see the silent question that both of our eyes gave away: What the heck was that? It was silent for about 15 seconds.

Eeeeeeeeeerk!!!!

We jumped slightly upon hearing the noise again and quickly turned our heads towards the direction the sound came from. We saw that it came from my computer desk, and the desk was leaning a bit to our left. We tilted our heads just to make sure we weren't seeing things. It was in that moment that the desk's legs snapped, sending everything (really just pens, pencils and a notebook. Thankfully my laptop was still in the car) across the bedroom floor. "Aah!" my mother briefly shrieked in surprise, "That startled me!" she said chuckling while holding a hand over her chest. "My desk! I just got it back." I complain. "Oh, Sweety. The wood was very cheap and flimsy. You saw how it was leaning. Don't fret about it too much, okay? I'll go get you another one soon; a better one. Now come on, let's get this mess picked up." she explained as she began bending down to pick up the fallen items. I nod my head in understanding while helping her. Now that I think about it, the wood did look considerably cheap. So I didn't worry about it too much.

As we were picking up the pens, pencils, and papers, I looked up and saw that something else in the room was leaning; my bookshelf. It was also at a slanted angle and the things on top of it looked as though they were going to fall off. "Hey, Eomma?" "Hmm?" "Is there anything else in here made from cheap wood?" I questioned. "No, dear. Everything else in here is made of really good wood. In fact, one of the pieces of your furniture is made from a really strong type of wood; mahogany. It cost a fortune, but it was worth it." she told me. "It wouldn't happen to be that bookshelf over there, would it?" I asked. "Why yes, it is....." Her voice slowly trailed off as she saw the way it was. She looked at me with a sort of nervous smile before speaking. "It's probably just the way we're looking at it," she spoke as if she was trying to convince herself rather than me. "Mahogany is a great wood to use for furniture because it's nice, strong and stur-" she was cut off by the sound of the bookshelf breaking and things toppling out of it, "-dy...." she looked at the bookshelf in complete shock and disbelief.

It was then that I looked up at the wall above where the bookshelf was and saw that everything was in even. There's a tiny shelf that hangs on the wall above the bookshelf, and it looked really far from the floor. And that's when I realized that the floor was uneven; it was drooping, and that's why everything was tilted a bit to the side. "Eomma...." I said warily, but she never answered. I looked over at her and saw that I had failed to notice her rambling nonsense to herself about the bookshelf being mahogany and costing a fortune and how she couldn't believe it had collapsed under the weight of three books and a teddy-bear.

"Eomma!" I said a little louder, and this time I had managed to gain her attention. She looked at me and asked, "What?" "This room isn't even. The floor is too low in that side's corner. That's why everything is slanted." I said to her. "Okay, but that doesn't explain why the mahogany wood collapsed." she said putting emphasis on 'mahogany'. I shrug my shoulders signaling to her that I didn't know the answer either. Another thing I didn't know was that we were fixing to get the answer.

A minute passed by before we heard another noise, and this time, it was more than we could have ever imagined. The bed had fallen right through the floor!!! We didn't know what to do because, before we knew it, everything was falling through the floor and the room was collapsing. We ran out of my bedroom as quickly as we could, but we weren't able to stop. We had to keep going until we were out of the house. I knew exactly what it was the second my bed fell through the floor.

TERMITES!!!!!

You could see them crawling around in the wood where the floor had broken off. I was so unbelievably confused because I was under the impression that they were gone. FOR GOOD!! I guess not. I quickly ran into the kitchen and grabbed as much food as I possibly could from the table, my mother right behind me doing the same thing. This has become the routine for us over the past years so we know exactly what to do. We ran outside of the house as the roof began to crumble. By now, a crowd had gathered outside to see what all the commotion was. And no one could believe their eyes when they saw the house falling to pieces. Once we were outside at a safe distance we bent over to try to catch our breaths. I had nearly caught my breath before I remembered something. We forgot it when we ran out, but there's no way I'm going to leave it behind. Before Eomma or anyone could react, I quickly ran back in to get it. All I heard was her shouting my name and sirens in the near distance.