°Chapter 6°

She began to smack her face like a maniac, while I looked at her strangely.

"Y-you!" she exclaimed, pointing at him.

What did I miss?

"Wh-why did you come from out of the house?" she asked him.

"What do you mean? It's my house; I live there," he responded.

"You mean your house is-"Hani was cut off by Geumhee-ssi speaking on the speaker box. "Baek Seungjo! Why haven't you come in yet?" I guess Hani didn't really believe him when he said he lived here because her jaw dropped and she had a shocked, disbelieving look on her face. The boy sighed and gave her an 'I told you so' look. "Hani-ah! Minyoung-ah~! Come in quickly!" she said to us.

Seungjo pointed his head in the direction of the entrance gate. "Should I lift that for you?" He asked Hani who shook her head, staring at the ground in shock. He then turned his head to the side as if remembering something and said, "Ah, that's right. You said that, even if you lived as a beggar, you wouldn't accept my help, didn't you?" He gave a smirk before turning back around and walking through the gate door to the house.

'I guess they know each other.' I sighed. 'He could have at least offered me some help. That jerk...,' I grumbled in my head and heaved the heavy bags up higher on my arms.

Hani seemed as though she was having a hard time taking all of this information in. "..Okay...well...I'm just gonna go...inside.." I had no idea what to say and it was getting pretty awkward, so I quickly fixed the things in my hands and followed after the boy Geumhee-ssi called Seungjo, leaving Hani standing by herself next to the car.

I'm not sure how long Hani was standing outside by herself, but a conversation had begun to start up by the time she sat down on the couch between Mrs. Geumhee and me. Eomma was at the end of the sofa, on the other side of Geumhee-ssi. Gidong-ssi was seated beside my mother on the couch across from the one we were sitting on, and Soochang-ssi was seated in a chair beside the couch Hani's father was on.

"I'm glad you came. Both of you," Soochang-ssi said, looking at Eomma and Gidong-ssi.

"It's very nice of you to have us," Eomma replied. A chorus of light chuckles made their way through us before the man of the house turned toward the kitchen/dining area and motioned for Seungjo to come join us. "Oh, Seungjo-ah! Come over here." He then turned back in our direction, smiling as Seungjo came to the living area and bowed to us. "Hello," he said. "He's our eldest child," was said before he walked to the sofa Gidong-ssi was on and took a seat....directly across from Hani. Poor girl looked so nervous.

I'm very well aware of the fact that I haven't known any of these people for very long, but it didn't take a genius to see that there was clearly tension between Hani and that Seungjo boy. And that the adults were completely oblivious between the awkward atmosphere between the two.

Hani looked at him for a few seconds before biting her lip and looking down at her lap. I looked up at Seungjo and saw that he was also looking at Hani. But he wasn't looking at her in the same way she was looking at him, though. He was looking at her with slight annoyance and was soon looking at me with the very same look. I began to feel uncomfortable at the thought of being in this home because it seemed like not everyone was thrilled to have us here. I shifted in my seat and paid a bit more attention to the conversation the adults were having.

"Ah, I've heard so much," I heard Hani's father say, referring to Seungjo. Hani and I looked to Geumhee-ssi as she spoke. "I feel as though I've known you for a long time." She motioned her hands in a circle, indicating that she was speaking about Hani, her father, and me. She then looked up at my mother with a fond look and said, "And it feels like you've never left." My mother smiled at her. "It's really great to be back," she replied. The women smiled and let out small giggles. And I found myself smiling at my mother finally being able to enjoy herself.