Prologue

Seven year-old Lance was waiting in the water. The small waves flowed over his toes.

"C'mon Keith!", he called out to the little black-haired boy on the sand.

Keith stared nervously at the ocean, clutching at the red floatie around his waist.

"I'm scared", Keith admitted.

"What's to be afraid of?", Lance asked, "The water is awesome!"

"Sharks, jellyfish, drowning...", Keith started to ramble on.

Lance sighed, and left the water.
The beach close to his home was his favorite place to be, and he always promised Keith that he would bring him one day. After all, they've been best friends since they were two.

Lance walked up to the shaking Keith, smiling.
"Fine", he said gently, "We can go together."

Keith put his pale hand in Lance's tanned one, and hung on for dear life.
"Okay", he quietly replied. He kept his navy blue eyes on Lance the entire time, focusing on his chestnut hair.

Lance grinned, and dragged Keith by the hand further into the water.

Once the water was at their waist, Lance stopped. He turned to Keith, but his friend's face was filled with fear.

"Please don't let go", Keith said shakily, clutching at his floatie with one hand and Lance's hand with the other.

Lance chuckled, "I'm not letting go Keith. I'm going to be right here, beside you."

Keith turned his head, and caught Lance's gaze.

"Forever?"

The boys were too young to know what forever meant, but from what they'd heard, it was a really really really long time.

"Forever!", Lance cheered, "We are going to be together forever!"

Keith beamed. Then he reluctantly let go of his floatie and splashed Lance in the face.

Lance narrowed his eyes. His grin took a devilish turn.
"It's on now!", he shouted, and splashed an armful of water at Keith.

That's how they spent their day. Running and splashing each other, but never let go of each other's hand.

Little did they know, is that it was going to be the last time they saw each other.

For a very long time.