Prologue

Once upon a time, in a beautiful kingdom… No, I'm sorry, I just can't. That is the most overused story beginning ever.

Oh, hi. You're actually still here? Well, that's cool; at least I know you're committed. 

I'm Amethyst Carvel, Amy for short; though I'm positive you have heard of me. No? That's strange, at least you'll enjoy my story; I can tell it better when you don't know the ending.

I live in Cloud Topia. What do you mean you've never heard of it? It is the greatest Angelica capitol, where our countries majestic rulers reside. What's an Angelica? Are you being serious? I suppose that means you must be a Terran, or maybe a Mage. Human you say? Nope, I've never heard of one. I suppose I look pretty stupid now don't I, sorry about that. Well, I don't know your race and you don't know mine so we're even. Anyway, it doesn't matter who, or even what you are, as long as you sit quietly and listen. There are others who want to hear the story as well you know.

Oh look, there I am now. Observe the one lying over there. What do you mean you can't see? Does your race not contain any traces of magic whatsoever? I'll have to describe the scene to you instead then.

I have short black hair with a block fringe, my Mum's idea, which nearly covers my purple eyes. My skin is quite fair, for an Angelica, but our genetics mean we can't tan anyway; just burn. What do you mean you don't believe me? Do humans not burn at all? Oh, you're talking about my eyes. What's so weird about having purple eye? Sure, I've never met anyone else like me but surely I can't be the only one. Can I?

Moving on, I'm lying on the hill at the back of my house and no, it is not snowing, that's just the clouds. They are tinted with the dark blue commonly seen at night time, although, if I'd been on the opposite side of town the glow would have been the bright orange emitted from the sun. I don't know about the place you are from but here the sky can never decide on whether it is night or day.

Even so, you can plainly see the stars and sometimes even find the constellations they create. Normally I could spot one or two, at least. There’s was one that contained both the Terran and Peek star. Surely you know about the two brightest stars: the Terran star that leads you to Terra Nova and the Peek star that in situated above Mage Mountain? No? What stories were you told when you were little if not about the stars? Well, I suppose I can give you a quick over view. This constellation is known as the Princess, or Lost Princess to those lucky enough to be under 10, she is from a fairy tale told to young children at night to stop them from venturing out after 'dark'. There's also the Guardsman, he fell in love with a Goddess and so when he died she put him in the stars; you know, the usual untrue tales. I could go on but there’s so many they could fill up their own story book.

Let’s start on the last day of the year, also known as my birthday. I'm very excited as I shall be receiving my wings today. You know, my wings. Babies can't be born with wings, duh. No one's completely sure how the transformation process actually works but on an Angelica's 18th, their final stages of growing up are finished and at 12:00 exactly glorious white wings spurt majestically from their back. They are a sign of adult hood and what you will grow up to become. Mages and Terran's having equivalent growing up signifiers.

Oh look, I'm going back into the house. Of course, you still can't see. Maybe I should make this easier for you. Hold still, it's time to start our journey.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Thank you so much to XxSwimmer_ChickxX. The amazing trailer at the side is all thanks to her awesome skills. Please check it out as she did an absolutely supreme job that gave me literal shivers after watching it.

Also, thanks to YOU for taking your time to read this book. I'd love to know what you think. How do you like Amethyst so far?

Love you chickens Xx