Chapter 22

I was sick and tired of walking through dark and terrifying places. If I remembered correctly this was my third, maybe fourth time trudging in an unknown underground tunnel. This was officially getting tiring. Especially as the steps in this particular establishment were so incredibly steep, not to mention slick with water that must have got through cracks in the rocks surface, that I was terrified for my safety.

"What do you think will be at the bottom?" Honour whispered in my ear from behind.

I tried turning around to look at him but nearly lost my footing so thought better of it, wasn't like I could see much anyway. "My best guess is a coffin," I admitted sadly.

I felt Comet squeeze my hand which I took to be that she agreed. I knew it would probably break Griffin's heart but I still couldn't believe that, if the King really was a bad person, he would allow someone as strong as the Queen to live and form a rebellion against him.

After quite a few minutes of manoeuvring through darkness, and risking my life a fair few times, we finally stopped. Peering around the corner, the glow of Griffin's hand illuminating the cold stone walls, it looked like a dead end. Griffin was tapping the stone in an attempt to work out where we had to go.

"Maybe it's like the entrance to Michael's cave?" Comet suggested.

"Don't you think I'm trying that?" Griffin growled at her.

I scowled into the gloom, knowing full well no one could see it. I understood that Griffin was frustrated but Comet was only trying to help, he definitely didn't need to be so snappy with her.

Moving Comet to the side, I carefully got past her and placed my hand upon Griffin's shoulder. "May I look?" I asked.

Griffin sighed dramatically, "sure, whatever."

I smiled at him, although he turned away and made room for me before he saw it. Shrugging, I faced the wall once more. It was slightly harder to see now that Griffin had removed his light but my eyes seemed to have adjusted fairly well to the lack of light, making it easier to see.

Even with my better vision, I had to admit it didn't look promising. The wall felt solid and no stone felt loose enough to be hiding some sort of secret button or key. Scanning my eyes over to top of the wall, I searched frantically for a gap that was be used to squeeze through. I was seriously grabbing at straws.

Pausing, I felt as though this effort was hopeless. It appeared this pathway didn't lead anywhere. I was about to bring this bad news to my friends when I realised I could feel something. The tips of my wings were feeling slightly chilly; a soft breeze caressing the feathers was causing them to flutter ever so slightly. Squatting down, I licked my finger and held it up in an attempt to discover the source.

It appeared to be emanating from under the wall. Peering down further, I noticed a gap about the size of my hand at the base of the wall. It was covered in shadows, making it invisible if you didn't know it was there.

"Hey Griffin," I called back at him, waving my hand to get him to join me on the floor.

I felt his presence and nodded towards the gap. Neither of us could actually see the other side but the breeze meant it had to be something.

"How can we get through?" Griffin asked.

"I was thinking, if possible, you could use some kind of spell to shrink us?" I answered nervously, not being able to predict his reaction.

Griffin immediately jumped up and pulled me to my feet, "no. That is impossible."

"Oh," I mouthed. I hadn't realised there wasn't that sort of spell available.