Chapter 27

The throne room was huge; at least I had expected that. The King was on his thrown at the other end of the open space, flanked by two guards. He was exactly as I had imagined: short dark hair, regal stance and strong figure.

I detested him already.

Just to the side was Archer. I hadn't realised just how shockingly similar he and his father looked, it was slightly scary.

Similarly to me he was in hand cuffs that most likely also repressed his magic. I peered around anxiously, searching for the face I hoped I hadn't seen. It appeared that they were not currently present.

I sighed in relief.

"Amethyst, is it? Step closer so I can see you," the King ordered from the thrown.

His strong cheekbones jutted out under his vicious eyes, showing no care for the people before him. I inched closer, afraid of what was to come next. The princess had already glided up to be situated in a smaller thrown next to her father.

"So, you were unable to find the location of my missing daughter. Such a shame," he sniffed sarcastically. "Although I think you may have stumbled across something that may aid in that mission."

Without looking at his son, the King gestured for Archer to move forward. When he refused to do so, a guard shoved him forth.

“Don’t you get it you imbecile, I will never betray my sister’s safety to you,” Archer growled, seeming to grow ever taller in front of our eyes.

“I don’t need you to. Your other sister, my dear little Rose, got it while you were being questioned. I just want you to have a better view,” explained the king.

Placing his hand, palm up, to Rose, she carefully extracted the simple crown from within her bag. Swinging it on his fingers, the King smiled in satisfaction.

“Why now?” Archer asked his voice scratchy and strained.

Now he was in the light I was able to see more of his complexion. It was strange, I was sure he hadn’t looked so bruised before and there was definitely some new blood stains on his clothes. I wasn’t completely sure that he was only asked questions when taken away from us.

“What was that?” His father cupped a hand over his ear, obviously having heard before.

“Why are you so intent on finding her now? It’s not as if she knows who she is, and her twin is still trapped. What help will she be to you?”

The King was so surprised he seemed to nearly laugh. “What exactly is it you think I shall do to my daughter?”

Archer glanced at me nervously, I shook my head. In my opinion the King was crazy so there was absolutely no way he would keep her alive, that’s for sure. I didn’t know what Archer was thinking though, in actual fact I had no idea why I was here, but I definitely wasn’t going to draw attention to myself by asking anything.

“Corrupt her like Rose obviously,” Archer glanced at his sister warily.

Rose instantly burst into a massive laughing fit before she noticed the King watching her.

“Sorry,” she shrugged. “Of course we are going to kill her. She would be too powerful and an obvious contender for the thrown. It’s why we got rid of her in the first place.”

“We got rid of her?” The King raised his eyebrow.

“I mean me, duh,” she giggled anxiously, darting her eyes around the room as she did so.

“Exactly,” the king smiled smugly. I wondered if what Rose had just uttered was in fact the truth or whether he was just covering up what he had done. I didn’t have long to consider this before the King turned back to his son. “I have considered keeping her for a year or two and then having her terminated but I am sure the world has already ‘corrupted’, as you put it, her against me. So yes, we shall have to kill her- for crimes against the crown of course.”