Chapter 33

Violet?

I sniffed again.

It was definitely a flowers scent; I was just struggling to determine the exact type. The clear liquid sloshed within the container, a plastic cylinder that cut against my lip uncomfortably when I attempted to drink the concoction. Although it appeared to have a slight pink colouring that may have been an effect of the lights that still gave me no more hints than I already had. It tasted sweet, and yet bitter as it rolled down my throat- a burning sensation flowing after it.

I coughed it back out. A laugh echoed around me.

I spun abruptly. Standing at the refreshments table at the back of the large open space, I had deferred that no one was near me. Everyone was too busy enjoying the chance to let go, dance and celebrate.

My shoulders slumped, the tension rolling from them when I saw the cute smile stretched over his teeth. Having left Comet to let loose on the dance floor, he was the only other person that would have come looking for me.

“It’s disgusting,” I spluttered out.

Honour chuckled again, “I’m not surprised. It’s rose water silly.”

“Oh,” I scratched the back of my head sheepishly, placing the still full cup back on the table.

Although rose water, scented water made with rose petals and usually used for culinary purposes, was thought to be a delicious beverage for Mages and Terrans, it was slightly poisonous for Angelicas. Obviously it wasn’t deadly; else it would have been banned, but simply created an effect over the Angelican body. When intoxicated with rose water, Angelica’s were known to lose control over normal physical and mental functions.

“It’s probably a good idea for you to lay off it tonight, unlike Comet,” Honour muttered sheepishly, glancing over his shoulder at the whirling figure.

Glancing at my friend, I could just make out the blissful expression brought on by rose water. At least she was enjoying herself.

“Amy, I hope you don’t mind me saying something?” Honour asked nervously.

“Of course not,” I promised, still enamoured by how cute his shyness was.

“I just wanted to say how beautiful you looked tonight, the pavonine look really suit’s you.”

I beamed, so happy that he thought so. Comet had assured me I looked fine but I’d never worn something quite like it before. I knew it was coming as soon as Griffin had summoned us. After telling us all to watch his speech he also invited us to the party that would be happening tonight. Comet had instantly jumped on the challenge and found both of us the most festive dresses she could, probably deep down trying to make Griffin jealous of all the looks she was getting.

While hers was a tight, short pink dress that really accentuated her curves, mine was quite a bit more modest. The back reached the floor, falling like layered tail feathers behind me, while the front only just reached my knees. The colours reflecting that of a peacock- blue’s, greens and purples.

“All you need is the crown and then you’d look like a real Princess,” Honour suggested.

I frowned at him, knowing what he was attempting to suggest. We both knew Griffin would be a fine ruler, even if we didn’t like him. There was no point in trying to get the crown away from him even if I wanted to.