Chapter 15

I was trailing at the back; my head hung low and my dark hair shading my face. The others were up ahead, just as silent as I was. Our brains had shut down and become nothing more than sadness. Griffin was carrying Willow upon his back, a determined expression on his face as we climbed the steep slope towards a cave somewhere in the distance.

My feet hurt. We’d been walking for so long that they’d moved past sore and into some new realm of pain that I could no longer contain. Meanwhile, Comet was complacent with hovering a couple of centimetres above the ground and flying herself along and Honour seemed as much, or even in worse agony than I was. His pale face looked like clay and set his pale eyes as a striking contrast.

An angry tear rolled down my cheek. This was all my fault. If I’d just been born normal than none of this would have happened. Melody would be still alive and we’d all be safe in our homes. Sure, Griffin would still be destined to kill the king but it was impossible for him to succeed, even I knew that.

I reached towards Comet’s shoulder in an attempt to apologise, when they suddenly stopped and I collided into her back. I was so stunned that I fell backwards onto my butt and sat there dazed until my head stopped ringing.

“Oh Amethyst, I’m so sorry,” Comet flustered.

Honour reached down and supported me as I rose back to my feet. I thanked him as I told Comet not to worry about it as she looked like she was about to burst into tears again.

“We’re here,” Griffin informed everyone.

I looked around but it didn’t seem like we’d actually arrived anywhere. We were stood upon a dusty road at the edge of the cliff with a sheer drop to the side of us.

“Ummm,” I was about to ask Griffin what he meant when he turned and walked into the nearby wall.

I was sure you could hear the clang of our jaws as Honour, Comet and I stared at where he had just been. I moved, as neither of the others did, towards the wall and tried gently to open it.

Instead of finding a door my arm slipped up to my elbow through the cliff face. I stared at where my hand had just been, I could still feel it yet it was gone. It must be some weird Mage spell.

Taking a deep breath I plunged into the darkness. The last thing I heard was gasps of shock from my friends. I entered the cave and instantly ran into the back of Griffin.

“Took you long enough,” Griffin muttered in indignation.

“Sorry,” I apologised.

“Never mind,” Griffin shook his head sadly. “Now what about the other dimwits?”

I turned around and watched Comet jump through the wall. Her eyes squeezed shut in terror.

“You’re ok Comet,” I assured her.

Slowly peeling open her eyes, Comet let out a sigh of relief. Her peace was short lived as Honour came tumbling into her back and knocking her onto the floor. I immediately leapt to help them. Though, it took us a while to sort each other out as we were all very weak.

As soon as we had all got up and dusted ourselves down Griffin took off. Obviously he expected us to follow him. I wondered, for the umpteenth time, why he didn’t seem as tired as the rest of us and whether it was to do with his magic speciality.

We seemed to be journeying through a large tunnel that was lit by an interspacing of torches. I wondered how far into the mountain it went but my question was soon answered as we reached a wooden door that fitted into the wall.

Griffin reached forward and knocked on the small door. We all waited expectantly but nothing happened. Annoyed, Griffin cocked his head to invite someone else to try. He obviously didn’t want to drop Willow.