Chapter 7

The looming expanse of the doorframe was towering over my cowering body. I could hear the voices drifting from inside, some had a panicked edge while others appeared to be angry.

Struggling against John’s harsh grip, I knew I couldn’t give up so soon. This wasn’t fair; my adventure had only just started. Surely the Gods didn’t want it to be over so soon.

Feeling the need to escape, to keep Comet and Lacey safe, I bit John on the arm. Ducking out of his grip, I searched madly for an escape route.

“You won’t be able to slip out of the door, they will see you,” John whispered to me, still clasping his injured arm.

“If it’s the only way, I’m willing to risk it. You don’t care anyway,” I muttered, backing into the opposite wall.

“Why do you think I stopped you from going that way? We need you to escape and keep River safe, she can’t be in Terran Nova,” John explained. Turning to Melody he spoke slowly, “get her out without being seen. Ok?”

Kissing his daughter on her forehead, John nodded at me and walked into the lounge. The conversation within instantly became louder and angrier.

I was still confused as to why I wasn’t being handed over to the guards. I reasoned the family were too nice to do that; they’d had a child removed from them and didn’t want another family to go through that pain. Also, I could get them Lacey.

“So, we need a way that gets you out without anyone noticing,” Melody told me, skilfully avoiding eye contact, “but how?”

I didn’t know. To me it seemed impossible to creep past the guards to the door.

“Wait a minute,” Melody exclaimed, “that should work?”

I looked at her in confusion, was she agreeing with my creeping past plan? Not truly understanding what we were doing, I obediently allowed her to drag me into a nearby bedroom. I assumed it was the parents.

Watching carefully, Melody moved to the side of the wooden bed and leant against it. She began to push.

It wasn’t doing anything.

“Don’t help then,” Melody scowled as she struggled with the bed.

I jumped in embarrassment, moving to Melody I began to aid her in her attempt to move the bed. It had already travelled a fair distance across the small room. Once it was pressed completely against the far wall, Melody reached under it and lifted up the floor.

It was a trap door.

“Let’s go,” Melody urged me as she began clambering down the ladder.

I glanced one last time towards the voices in the lounge. “Will they be ok?”

Melody nodded, “they’re strong.”

Looking back at the little girl, I noticed the wetness in her eyes but decided not to comment. Instead, I slipped in after Melody and pulled the door closed over our heads.

We were encased in heavy darkness.

The next few minutes were a blur of nothingness, blindly following Melody until finally bursting into sunshine.

“Follow me,” Melody instructed as she grabbed my hand.

I didn’t know where she was taking me but decided not to question it. I hoped I was making the right choice.

We slipped around corners and stopped whenever we heard noises. Keeping to the shadows, Melody seemed extremely jumpy. There was a high chance we would meet some more guards.