Chapter Nine: Christmas

As November faded away the thought of the Christmas holidays grew in Hopes mind. Obviously she would be staying at the school over the holidays as she didn't have anywhere else to go. She was grateful that she was now friends with Ron and Harry, as they'd both be staying over the holidays with her. All of the four Weasley brothers would be staying over the holidays as their parents were going to visit Ron's brother Charlie. Harry claimed that his muggle family were so awful there was no way he could go back to visit them. Hermione would be going home to spend the Christmas holidays with her parents. 

The weather had also turned very, very cold. It was always snowy outside and several storms occurred over the month. The morning mail had become a much more thinned out heard. The owls that did make it through the storms and into the Great Hall, usually had to be nursed back to health by Hagrid before they could leave again. 

Potions class had become almost unbearable. Not only was it absolutely freezing in the dungeons, but Malfoy had become intolerable since Slytherins loss in the quidditch match. He'd resorted to taunting Harry, Ron and Hope as much as he could. 

"I do feel sorry", Draco said loudly during a potions lesson, "for all those people who have to stay at Hogwarts for Christmas because they're not wanted at home." 

They all ignored his constant teasing and calls as best they could. But Hopes loathing of Malfoy grew stronger every time he made a comment. By the time they left the dungeon Hope had lost five points for Gryffindor for yelling back at Malfoy. 

When they left the dungeon they found a large fir tree was blocking the pathway, with Hagrid standing behind it. 

"Need any help Hagrid?", Ron laughed. 

"Nah, I'm alright thanks." 

"Would you mind moving out of the way?", Came Malfoys cold voice from behind them, "are you trying to earn some extra money Weasley? Hoping to be a gamekeeper yourself when you leave Hogwarts, I suppose - that hut must seem like a palace to you." 

"No!", Hope yelled, but it was too late. Ron dived at Malfoy, but at the same time Snape walked out of the Dungeon. 

"WEASLEY!",

"He was provoked, Professor Snape", Hagrid said, coming out from behind the tree, "Malfoy was insultin' his family." 

"Be that as it may, fighting is against Hogwarts rules, Hagrid", Snapes voice was deadly sweet, "five points from Gryffindor, Weasley, and be grateful it isn't more. Move along, all of you." 

Malfoy smirked at them as he, Crabbe and Goyle pushed their way past. They followed behind Hagrid as he carried the tree. The Great Hall looked spectacular, there were twelve huge Christmas trees in the great hall. Mistletoe and Holly were hung around on the walls and Professor Flitwick was making small golden baubles come out of his wand and hang themselves on the tree. 

"How many days you got left until yer holidays?", Hagrid asked, placing the tree down next to the others.

"Just the one", Hermione told him, "and that reminds me - we've got half an hour before lunch, we should be in the library." 

"Oh yeah, you're right", Ron agreed.

"The library?", Hagrid asked, following them out of the hall, "just before the holidays? Bit keen, aren't yeh?" 

"We're not working", Hope laughed. 

"Ever since you mentioned Nicolas Flamel we've been trying to find out who he is." 

"I've seen him with my father before", Hope added, "but I can't remember what he does." 

"You what?", Hagrid looked shocked, "Listen here - I've told yeh - drop it.  It's nothing to you what that dogs guardin'."