seven

Riley's POV
Coming into school this morning made me more than nervous. Will Jack be awkward around me now that he tried to kiss me last night?

The last thing I want is for us to be awkward. I mean, he's one of my best friends. He relates to me in a way no one else does.

All I want is for us to be... normal.

I'm walking into class when I feel my phone vibrate in my pocket. I look at it. It's Shawn.

[shawn] because we have to be super-secret and only talk by text, I feel like I should tell you... your zipper is open.

I look down and see that the zip on my jeans is down. My cheeks start to burn and I quickly do the zip up.

I look to the back of the classroom and see Shawn trying not to laugh. I give him a look but I'm totally not serious.

As I sit down in my seat, waiting for Lyss because she's late, I flip Shawn the finger. Then I feel my phone vibrate again.

[shawn] rude.

[riley] you were laughing at me. You deserve it :)

[shawn] I deeply apologise. Just kidding. It was funny.

[riley] I hate you.

[shawn] you love me.

"Who are you texting?" I look up to see Lyss staring down at me. I quickly put my phone back in my pocket and smile.

"Just Jack." I lie. She shrugs and sits down next to me. Then Dylan walks in. Dylan and I haven't spoken a word since he took me to that gas station and left me on the side of the road. I wonder how he's going to react today.

"Hey, babe." He says, kissing me meaninglessly before sitting down beside me and moving my hand over to his lap as he holds it.

While Lyss and Dylan begin talking, I discreetly look back at Shawn to see he's gritting his teeth. I watch him take out his phone and a few moments later I feel my phone buzz. Dylan and Lyss are too caught up in their own conversation to even realise that I'm not listening and I pull my hand away from Dylan.

I take out my phone and read the message.

[shawn] I saw that kiss. Neither you or him meant it. I know it's hard for you and the consequences could be bad. But for your sake... Please get out of this fucked up relationship.

I quickly type a reply.

[riley] you know that I want to. You know Dylan doesn't mean as much as he used to anymore... I'm scared of getting hurt.

[shawn] as long as I'm around, you will never be hurt. I promise.

"Everyone put your phones away! The lesson has started." The teacher calls. I shut my phone off and put it in my pocket, my heart still pounding from what Shawn just texted me.

I haven't seen Jack all day. He is at school though and he texted me saying that he just wanted everything to be okay between us. So, obviously, I said 'of course'. But I no longer care about that. I have one thing on my mind: I have to break up with Dylan. I've got to. He's hurt me one too many times and I need to stand up for myself.

Dylan obviously does not care about me and I've realised that a little too late. But I have realised one thing over the past few days: I am falling in love with Shawn Mendes.

He has been the only one there for me. The only one I have been able to reach out to. I tell him everything that goes on with Dylan and he understands me completely. No one else does. Except Jack... But that's different.

But what if Shawn doesn't love me back?

I can't tell Shawn that I love him because if he doesn't love me back, it could become awkward and I could lose him. I never ever want Shawn to leave. He's been my go-to for the entire time that I have begun talking to him and I've fallen in love with everything that he does in that short amount of time.

Sure, we haven't actually been on a real date or actually been out with each other in public except for when we had coffee, but that had to stop because of Dylan...

Dylan is stopping me from being happy.

So, my plan is to break up with him over text tonight. I know that it sounds immature and bad to do it over text, but I do not want to break up with him in person. He has the potential to kill me. His anger management issues don't help either.

Lyss, Danielle - we worked things out and I forgave her - and I are walking out of our last class for the day and we have just walked out of school grounds. Thank god it's the weekend. I want to do nothing more then just relax on the couch. And that gives Dylan two days to get over our breakup. He should get over it easily, it's not like he loved me anyways.

But when we all walk out the gates, I notice something. There is a gigantic crowd across the street on the grassed parkland.

I furrow my eyebrows.

"What's going on over there?" I ask. Danielle and Lyss shrug. But then I see Matthew through a gap of people and I instantly run over.

Then I see something I thought I would never see.

Dylan is sitting on Jacks stomach... beating the life out of him.
____________________
a/n: cliffhanger I'm sorry!!! But I think you all will LOVE the next chapter ;)

(treat you better literally just came on YES SHAWN FUCK IT UP)

btw I'm sorry for any spelling mistakes and I'm sorry if this chapter was boring. I rushed it because I needed to post something. But the next chapter is gonna be so good omg I'm so excited for you to read ittttttt