thirteen

Riley's POV
"Will I ever get to hear how you sing?" I ask as Shawn entwines his fingers with mine and strokes my thumb.

"I've actually started writing a song for you. Well, I started writing it just after Jack died. I guess there was just a lot of emotions and it felt better to write a song." He says, blushing a little bit. My heart beats faster just by looking at him.

"You wrote a song for me?" I ask quietly, like I just can't believe it.

"It's not quite finished yet. There's still some verses I'm not happy with and I need to change the guitar notes around a bit but it's coming along." He says.

"When will I be able to hear it?" I ask with a huge smile on my face but Shawn won't look me in the eye. He's embarrassed.

"Maybe never... Or maybe when I finish it." He winks. I laugh and lean my head on his shoulder.

"What's it called?" I ask, watching people walk past us on the footpath.

We're currently sitting on the bench we first ever really talked on while we were drinking coffee. It's hard to believe that was only a couple of months ago.

"You really want to know what it's called?" He asks with a smirk.

"Of course." I say. He sighs and looks off into the distance, squinting as the sunset reflects into his eyes.

"It's called Treat You Better."

When I get home, I walk up to my room and scroll through the millions of selfies Shawn and I had just taken together. Of course, Shawn looks adorable in every single one of them but I pick the best one to post on Instagram.

His arm is wrapped around my shoulder, pulling me in and kissing my cheek. His jawline looks really sharp in it.

Shawn and I have never posted about each other on social media before so I'm kind of scared about what people will say. I have well over 4000 followers and so does Shawn. That means there's bound to be many comments and I hope they're all positive.

I finally get the picture, filter it just right and post it with the caption:

I love you <3 @shawnmendes

Every three seconds, I refresh the page to see if people have said anything and surely enough, they have after about ten minutes of constant refreshing.

Cuties
Aw you guys are cute x
Adorable

They're just some of the comments. I mean, people know we're dating. We've made it pretty clear at school. It's just the fact that people are so much harsher on social media because they're hiding behind screens. But luckily, all the comments are nothing but the best. Until I see one from Shawn that makes me feel even better.

I love you more baby x

Simply seeing that makes my day. And that's what it's all about.

Dylan could have said that everyday and I would have just smiled. But Shawn makes the butterflies in my stomach flutter and my fingertips tingle.

I think everything is better with him...

I guess I thought wrong.
______________________
a/n: I felt the need to make more drama because I had no clue what to do but yayyyy we have ideas now *high-fives self*