Chapter Eleven - What Are You Willing to Sacrifice?

Danielle explained to Lucy, "Now, with Marcel's untimely death and no son to be the heir to the throne, the problem is an urgent one! Arielle’s first born son, Pierre or Xavier or whoever he really is, has been preordained by his birth right to be the next reigning prince. Right now, Prince Hercule is still very much alive, but his time will come in the near future. The mystery surrounding the royal twins’ birth order must now be solved legally and conclusively. But legalities take time. How much time do you have, Lucy? Years? When Marcel was alive there was virtually no chance that Pierre could ever become reigning prince. He was recorded as the second born twin. Marry him and you could become the next princess of Ville. Then Pierre would need a son, an heir to the throne. Are you willing to get pregnant time and again, until you conceive a son, Lucy? Princess options are rare, so consider the gravity of your situation.” That was the last thing Danielle had to say before she left.                            

Lucy centered the dinner conversation around the possibility. “Marie, do you have old movies, newspaper clippings or magazine articles about Princess Marilyn’s and Prince Hercule’s wedding? Or about other royalty?” In her room, Lucy poured over the materials and jotted some notes. “The royal wedding festivities lasted four days, including concerts, as residents swarmed the public square outside the palace. As the Prince and Princess majestically waved to their subjects from the palace balcony, cocktails were served to the citizens, royalty, and nobility all around the plaza. Champagne toasts were offered to the bride and groom.”  

Lucy heard a knock at her bedroom door and confided in Marie the recent news about Pierre and the royal family. “What if Pierre is the real prince, Marie?" 

Marie responded, “At this point, it seems that nothing is for certain. Pierre could be heir apparent to the throne or he might be second in the line of succession and never wear the crown his entire life! Or he could be the Commoner baby and not have Royal blood flowing through his veins at all! Or he could decide to abdicate! Unless you are head over heels in love with him, you could be marrying him for no good reason. Are you willing to forfeit a lifetime of real happiness, just for a possible Royal title?"

"But what if he is the prince? Being his princess is the chance of a life time!”  

“Lucy, you cannot plan your life around ‘what if's.’ What do you plan to do about the ‘what if’ you are madly in love with someone else who is your true love? Life all boils down to true love. You either possess it or you do not. Good luck with your decision. Maybe this letter from Pierre, that came for you today, will help you, one way or the other.” 

"Dear Lucy, I have been told that I do everything to an extreme, including loving you so very much! You are all I think about night and day! I know we will be very happy together in Ville. You can have whatever you want, as money is no object! My family has old money. My aunt’s death, with me at the wheel of her car when I was sixteen, still weighs heavily on my conscience; her blood is still on my hands! My friend Guy has been my chauffeur ever since the accident. You are a dead ringer for my Aunt Marilyn, Hercule's belated wife! You will ease my guilt and make it up to the citizens of Ville, who still miss their Princess Marilyn after al these years. I will always love you. Come to me now! All my love, Pierre." 

Lucy folded the letter and was retrieving her backpack from the entry table when the doorbell rang. It was a stranger whose voice echoed in the long hallway, “Mademoiselle Lucille Ann Andrews?” Her forehead creased, Lucy reluctantly nodded her head, then heard, “You are hereby legally served this summons to deposition.” The man groped to retrieve her limp arm, then slapped an envelope on her palm. As the summons fell to the floor, he hastily retreated. Marie and Franc met Lucy at the open door. The blood had drained from her face. Franc helped her to the divan while Marie picked up the subpoena and read it aloud, “Police Homicide Division of Paris, France, Department of Internal Affairs versus Lieutenant Detective Pierre Lecroix---”