Chapter Seventeen - A Challenge?

Lucy retrieved her umbrella from the porch, a worried look on her face. When she was back from Rouen and on the phone, Aimee gushed, "Have fun in Italy, Lucy!"

Time dragged for Lucy until she and Jean-Louis were on the plane to Italy. Finally deplaning, they caught a bus from Naples and soon arrived at their final destination. Lucy and Jean-Louis were carefreely strolling about Rome hand in hand, followed by his Grandmama Libretta. Although not a very active chaperone, with her eyesight failing and her energy lagging, the elderly woman stayed in as close proximity as her short and aged legs could manage. Arm in arm, the duo talked and laughed, Lucy pointing here and there and Jean-Louis explaining. They explored the ruins of the Coliseum, climbing up and down the ancient stone tiers of seats in the great amphitheater. The couple explored corridors and staircases, particularly private conclaves out of Grandmama’s sight. Jean-Louis succeeded in stealing a kiss from Lucy here and there.   

The couple found a shady spot and ate a picnic lunch while their escort sat at a distance, allowing for private conversation. “Lucy, wild exotic animals that were kept in their cages below the stage of the Coliseum. Stags, ostriches, and bulls were among the animals engaged in the modern equivalent of ‘matadors’ and bull fights.” The duo quickly finished their delicious repast and were ready to move on. He put his arms around Lucy’ shoulders."Now we will head for Vatican City, a city within the city of Rome, where the Pope is the head of state. We will enter the VaticanMuseum, housing the largest collection of ancient art in the world and half a million books. Then on to Saint Peter’s Basilica. Note its ornate dome!"     

He kissed her in the dimly lit Sistine Chapel, holding her body closely against his in a passionate embrace. As Lucy gazed up at the clouds painted on the ceiling above, her view was impaired by Jean-Louis’ kiss. It was then that he presented Lucy with a special gift, a heart shaped locket enclosing their two photos. 

Then it was on to the lost city of Pompeii. "Jean-Louis, can you believe we are in the shadow of a volcano? It is unsettling! It is eerie! Think about it! We are in an immense cemetery! Pompeii is a huge grave yard for the twenty thousand people who perished here two thousand years ago, buried in the volcano’s hot lava and ashes! Thanks, again, for getting us enrolled in this dig! I do not know how you did it!"  

Lucy’s eyes were averted to a tall, medium build, attractive, muscular, rugged type man emerging from the largest tent. He spoke in a whisper in the sacred mausoleum-type atmosphere, “Welcome, archaeology students! I am archaeology professor, Mauro G. Fiorelli. I am the fourth generation grandson of Guiseppe Fiorelli, who, in 1860, developed the plaster technique that made possible the detailed recreations of the bodies of the doomed, displayed here in glass cases, inventing the pioneering technique of injecting plaster into spaces in the ashes left by decomposed bodies of victims of Mount Vesuvius’ volcanic eruptions. I have been granted permission to temporarily resume archaeological excavations." 

Jean-Louis’ eyes flitted from the Professor to Lucy. Fiorelli was gazing at Lucy. Mesmerized, she was staring back at their instructor. Jean-Louis muttered, “Lucy, it sounds as though he is reading straight from the brochure. I bet he does not have an original thought in his head!”  

The Professor looked directly at Jean-Louis and continued to speak, “I can hear you, as the acoustics are surprisingly good here. In current times clear resin has replaced plaster. It is more durable and does not crack and break. I have discovered another victim on which to repeat my Grandfather’s technique, as a learning experience for you. Your first assignment is to jot observations about the plaster cast of the dog in this glass case. May I speak with Lucille Andrews, please?”