Chapter 5

I know somebody is watching me before I even have a chance to open my eyes. The person is so concentrated on me I can feel their eyes boring into my head like a sniper training it's laser sight on an unexpected victim. I look for something, anything that might help me defend myself against the intruder. I scan my surroundings without moving, so as to not let the person know I am awake. My eyes land on a thick book called The Runner. My arm shoots out from under my blanket to grab the book with surprising swiftness. I jump out of bed, my eyes darting around the room until they fix on a figure across the room. I hurl the book with all my strength at the intruder. A loud thud echoes around the room as the book hits its target.

"Oh my god I am so sorry!" I apologize almost immediately as I realize it's only Reyna sitting on her bed innocently lacing up her boots.

Instead of being angry, Reyna just picks up the book and laughs. 

"For a princess I must admit, you have good taste in books, and a strong arm." Reyna chuckles. "I'm so happy to hear that you're going to help us. It's been so long since you and I have been able to help each other out."

"I don't remember agreeing to anything. And if you don't mind me asking, how do we know each other? I'm sorry but ever since I got out of a coma, I haven't been able to remember the first 16 years of my life." I use the same line I've used a hundred times already. 

"Oh I'm so sorry," Reyna responds apologetically, "I used to work in the palace. Whenever your parents were fighting you used to come to the kitchen to help me out and escape for a little while."

Sure enough, it comes flooding back to me. "I used to help eat the deserts more than I did actually making them." I laugh at the memory of me stuffing my face full of decadent sugar cookies with my favorite lemon icing. I'm pulled out of my trance when a familiar woman picks me up from the counter and sweeps me into her arms, wiping the crumbs from my chin.

My mother. I think to myself. I was probably only 6 or 7 at the time. 

"I remember her," I say quietly to myself, "I remember my mother." I say louder this time. "Now I know where my green eyes came from." I smile.

"You don't remember your mother?" Reyna asks sadly. "That's terrible. I haven't seen mine since the rebellion but I don't think I could ever forget her." 

"Well it's not like I chose to forget her." I huff, annoyed that Reyna could be so insensitive.

"Oh no I didn't mean it like that, it didn't come out right. Do you want me to tell you what I remember about your mother?" I nod eagerly, forgetting all about my anger. 

"Well she was kind. The kindest person you'll ever meet, and as soon as you met her you could tell. It was in her eyes. And she was so brave. She had her own views on how Amara should be governed and wasn't afraid to voice her opinion. That's why your parents fought so much I think. Although you never actually told me. You kept your family life pretty quiet. Anyways, she was always supporting the people who's voices were never heard. Once your mother left the palace to form the Liberatum, I followed. I'd always supported her ideas because I shared so many of them with her. Living in the palace meant I was safer than most people but I was still treated poorly and my voice was nonexistent. I will always regret not taking you with me. I'm so sorry I left you behind." 

I sit quietly, letting everything Reyna told me sink in before I even try to respond.

"So is this all a ruse to get me to join the Liberatum? I just coincidentally share a room with an old friend who knew all about my family?" I ask questioningly.

"No no I swear this is all true. We were great friends; when I heard you were being brought here I offered to let you stay here with me. I thought seeing a friendly face might make you feel a bit better here. Now obviously it doesn't matter. Whether you decide to trust me or not is your decision. I'm just here to help you make an informed decision." Reyna smiles warmly at me and I believe her. Of course, my memory could've been a figment of my imagination but it felt so real. It felt like I was reading a story so realistic, the characters were popping right out of the book. I can't ignore this memory. For once, this is one that means something. Something that could change everything.

***

I hear the screams before I hear the humming. Reyna and I run out of the house to see people running frantically about, carrying whatever they can in their frail arms. Then the humming starts and my eyes flick to the sky, seeing the airships in the distance. 

"We have to go. Now." Reyna grabs me and pulls me in the direction of the hatch. 

"Oh no. No way am I going down there again." I yell to Reyna over the loud whirring of the ships, giving away their close proximity.  

"You either go down there or you get blown to bits up here. I have to go sweep the area and try to get as many people down here as possible; you need to find Caleb underground."

"But I want to help."

"You can help by staying here and helping people down, but as soon as the first airship casts its shadow over you, you're first priority is to get yourself underground. Can you do that for me?" Reyna asks, swinging the hatch open for me. I salute to her and she runs in the opposite direction. 

I stand next to the hatch as person after person climbs down into the darkness. I feel cheated. Occasionally I lower a child into the expecting arms of somebody below me, but overall I feel useless.

Then I hear a shrill scream. One that only comes from a child. I run my head to see girl laying on the ground crying. Abandoning my station, I sprint in her direction. I fight the sea of people headed in the opposite direction I am, elbows slamming into me, almost knocking me down. I can feel the panic of all of these people, so distracted they don't pay any mind to the little girl screaming helplessly.

I keep my eyes on her, never breaking my stare. As she becomes closer I see that she is the same girl I had seen the other day,  begging on the streets. She's laying on the ground, her leg bent unnaturally and I assume it's broken. I scoop the child up in my arms and look up, the sky blocked by a dark shadow. I suddenly understand how people can abandon their natural instinct to help children when they are so consumed by fear. All I can think about is keeping myself alive.

My feet pound against the ground, and I run faster than I ever have before, with a new sense of urgency taking me over. Sara clutches my shirt tightly, her knuckles turning white. A voice speaks from up above. 

"Return Princess Rose to us immediately or witness your village's demise." The voice booms above me, most likely from a speaker. I look up and see Amara's familiar insignia, a royal purple rose seemingly bleeding gold. A part of me can't help but be happy that my father is coming to save me, but I'm horrified that Amara's army would be risking so many innocent lives.

I'm knocked down by a massive figure, wrapping my arms around Sara to keep her safe. An explosion goes off not far from me and debris goes flying everywhere. 

"Are you stupid? Do you not realize how close you are to getting killed or taken back to the palace? You're too important to this cause to lose dammit." Caleb screams at me. I don't argue with him. Of course I know what I did was stupid, suicidal even, but what was I supposed to do?

"I couldn't leave her behind." I say just loud enough to hear over the ships and explosions. 

"I told you before. You can't save everyone. I know it seems unfair, and trust me I think it is too; the truth is, people die. No thanks to you, and the rest of the royals."

I'm about to go off on him again, but instead of a kiss, Caleb pushes me.

And for an instant, as I'm falling, I feel free.

This chapter has a little tribute to my favorite author so1tgoes and my favorite Wattpad book, The Runner. This was my favorite chapter to write and I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did. How are feeling about Raleb now? (Caleb and Rose!!!) Remember to follow, vote, comment, and add to your reading list! Happy Reading!!!

xoxo

b0wlofcherries

PS THANK YOU FOR 200 READS AND #416 IN ADVENTURE!! It doesn't seem like a lot but I was at #600 last night!! I hope this book continues to gain support from some amazing Wattpadders such as yourselves. Thanks again for everything (-: