Chapter 10

From dusk to dawn, I've been keeping track of the days. 11 in total now. Our once vast water supply is dwindling, and I for one am sick of the bland, stale biscuits we're being fed.

3 down 17 to go. I think to myself sadly. It seems that every time the sun sets, another life is taken. We've lost Michael and Aiden, only within days of each other. I'd never spoken to Michael, he kept to himself most of the time, but Aiden was really sweet. He was always kind to me whenever we talked. My heart hurts much like the rest of my body, just thinking about his passing.

We're not going to be able to live out here much longer. As our supplies dwindle, so does our time. I can feel my body slowly breaking down. My boots no longer protect my feet from the scorching sand, burning my skin. Every step I take requires mass amounts of motivation, as my whole feels limp. My throat is dryer than the desert itself, and I crave endless water. I am like a clock. My inner workings are breaking down, the gears no longer turning; once my gears stop, so does my time.

But for now I just keep ticking away. I haven't left my spot at the front of the group next to Caleb and every once in a while I think I catch him glancing at me.

He walks beside me with a straight face. Unlike the rest of us he looks unaffected by the desert, as if he's experienced this kind of heat before.

The sun is slowly setting on the horizon, and we keeping walking. As a group we've decided traveling at night is best. The cool air hits my face, instantly cooling me down as it sticks to my clammy skin. I relax a bit as we continue our trek through the wasteland.

For a minute everything seems deadly silent. Nobody was talking before but something is missing now I can tell.

Jacob's cough. I feel sick to my stomach. I know what this means. I turn on my heel, and I see him go down. His legs give in to his weight and he falls into the sand. I run over to help him, trying to keep him comfortable as his time runs out.

I rest his head on my lap as I kneel beside him. His forehead is hot, soaked with sweat. I look down at his hands, swollen fingers and a rash. Valley fever. Just like the last 2 soldiers. I suck in a breath, knowing what comes next. Loud sobs escape Jacob's cracked lips.

"Shh it's going to be okay. You're alright. We're almost there I can tell. Then we can go home. We're almost there." Tears prick my eyes but I blink them away, knowing I need to hold myself together.

"I'm going to die, aren't I?" Jacob asks me.

I look around at the rest of the group, hoping somebody else has an answer, but he gets no reply. Everyone stares at me expectantly, as if I should know what to do.

"I don't know. I think that's your decision. Whether you want to let go or not."

Jacob nods his head.

"I'm ready."
***
Jacob's death hit us all hard. Not because we all knew him personally, but because he was so young. He asked to join the group because he said he wanted to grow up in a city he could be proud of. He was only 15.

All day the group has been arguing.

"We need to find water." And where exactly are we supposed to find that? I don't see any drinking fountains around here.

"We should walk all day, we'll get there quicker." Yeah easy for you to say Mr my legs are probably bigger than your whole body.

"We should turn around and go back." Yes good idea! After 12 days let's turn around and head back, another 12 day trip, just to go back to the village without the Liberatum's leader!

"Everyone shut up!" I yell, turning around to face them. At this point I can't even listen to them anymore. The constant bickering is useless.

"Stop wasting your breath on your stupid plans. Close your mouths and think for a second about the big picture. We need to find her." I say, everyone knowing very well who I'm referring to. "If we don't find her soon we're going to get back to nothing." I see fear in some of there eyes, grasping the opportunity to motivate them.

"That's right. Who knows what's going on at home right now? Our family, friends are there in the midst of a war. Are we going to give up on this mission? Are we going to give up on them? No. We have to keep going. Now isn't the time to give up. Yes, we've lost some people but we have to finish what we've started or all these deaths will be for nothing."

All these deaths will be for nothing...

My head is spiraling out of control, the desert just a blur of gold before me. Somebody reaches out to steady me as memories flood my mind.

I see hundreds of bodies on marble floors that I recognize from the castle. I see myself holding a little girl, reminding me of Sara. I clench my teeth as the memory begins to fade, hoping to hold on to everything just a few seconds longer. The last thing I see is myself on the stairs, where my accident occurred. I wait for myself to fall, or trip down the stairs but nothing. Instead I see a flash of royal purple before I black out.

My head clears and my eyes open to see Caleb kneeling in front of me.

"Are you okay?" Caleb asks, his face masked with concern. I notice a dull throbbing on the side of my head and press my finger tips to it.

To my surprise, I feel something. Something out of the ordinary. A small divot in my head. I tear at my hair frantically, my heart thumping wildly. I trace the spot on my head, convinced it is a scar.

"Caleb! Caleb what is this?" I ask quickly, pointing to the spot on my head.

"It looks like a scar, Rose. Are you okay?"

"I didn't fall Caleb. This isn't my fault. Why would somebody do this to me? Who would do it?" I ask question after question as they fill my head.

"Woah settle down. Who did what to you?"

"Somebody hit me. I didn't fall down the stairs and lose my memory. I was in the castle, while the war was going on! Somebody hit me in the head! That's why I lost my memory!" I shout, a weight lifted off of me, knowing my own stupidity didn't land me in a coma. "But who would've done this?" I ask, settling myself down to think. Nobody pops into my head as an enemy of mine.

"I don't know Rose but we have to keep going. You were right. People are counting on us at home. Their lives are in our hands, so stop babbling." Caleb says, helping me stand. The others have already begun walking ahead of us and Caleb and I quickly close in on them.

Feeling confident I turn to Caleb smirking. "So you really want me to stop babbling?"

"Yes that would be ideal."

"Then make me." I throw him a flirty smile.

"Only to keep you quiet." Caleb winks at me. He starts to close the gap between us, our bodies only inches apart, as I watch Caleb's eyes sparkle in the moonlight. I swear I can see the stars shining brightly in his eyes. I silently pray he is going to kiss me.

And then he does.

So much for Caleb wanting to keep his distance from Rose. That didn't last long. But his girl is still somewhere out there so who knows what will happen? I have a feeling she's getting closer. Anyways, this is more of a filler chapter, but I added some sadness, and romance. Rose is also slowly piecing things together with her remembrance of what happened in the prologue. If you pay super close attention you might even find a clue in there that gives away a plot twist. Comment your thoughts and remember to vote and follow! Happy Reading! :-))
xoxo
b0wlofcherries
PS THIS BOOK IS NOW #179 IN ADVENTURE WHATTTTT TYSM