Chapter 22

2 months later

2 months later

Earth

"We have to tell the crew," Mitch said in a stern, affirmative voice that showed how behind this decision he was. It was as if nothing else mattered, and the only thing he was going to fight for was that telling the crew about Mark Watney being discovered alive was something the crew deserved. At the very least, they had to know that he was there, he was surviving. But Venkat Kapoor did not agree, and the idea was shut down quicker than the press showed up at the door step when the images of the rover and Hab were released with the statement that Mark was alive. The world was blowing up about this, and the NASA employees who dealt with emails to the Hermes were already scanning through every email to ensure that nothing slipped to the crew.

Mitch had already brought this up numerous times, at least three times a day, but each time was shot down. His temper was getting to him, and he knew that it wouldn't get him anywhere with Kapoor. As he paced the room, being told the answer was 'no' again, he tried to think of some way to reason with Kapoor. Then the idea struck him, and his eyes widened, "You don't want to tell the crew because you're scared that it will distract them, that they might be at risk because of how distraught they would be if they found out they left Mark Watney alive on Mars?"

"Yes," Venkat replied.

"If I can talk to Dr. Alice Blake and get her opinion on what the crew can or cannot handle, then will you be convinced?"

Venkat pondered this. "One psychologist who is mixed in the middle of it can hardly make a decision for the entire crew."

"You're making an entire decision for the crew, Vincent," Mitch argued. "They handled Mark's alleged death, they maneuvered the MAV to the Hermes, they got the Hermes on course to Earth, they have kept up on their assignments. If they could handle his death, they can handle discovering he is alive."

"Alive for now; we all know there is too big of a chance that he is still going to die on Mars. We're pulling every string and putting everything into getting him back alive, but the chances are too narrow. That's worse for the crew; knowing he is alive, feeling like they left him, and there is almost nothing that can be done. Until there is more hope, I don't want anyone aboard the Hermes to know."

"Dr. Blake should know. Just let me talk to her, let me tell her-"

"And if she decides to tell the crew?"

"She won't. She's like a daughter to me, I can trust her. That's why we sent her there, to handle things like this, to take the weight upon her shoulders and carry it for the crew. If I tell her, she can relay back to a panel of psychologists what she believes is best for the crew. Please, Venkat."

He frowned. "I'll think about it."

Hermes

"Blake," Lewis's voice came over the headsets and Alice was floating through the halls after helping Vogel with something. Everyone had adjusted as well as possible to the fact Mark was dead; even though it was hard to walk past his room and see it empty, or to all be having dinner together without him cracking jokes to lighten the mood after a long work day. Every single crew member had overcome the grief and pain of losing him, but that was what humans did. After some time, the human mind goes back to the way it was. Of course, there would always be a part of them missing without Mark there with them, but there was nothing that could be done at this point.