Chapter 2: A Date With A Skeleton

I sang a sad but beautiful song. I leaned into the microphone a little, so my voice would be louder. I felt that if I was louder, that people wouldn't look at me if I was quiet.

Even though I've worked at this place for... Um... It's been a long time! I still have a bit of stage fright.

I finished my song, and I asked Donnie if I could get a drink. He said yes, so I headed down the stairs. That article really helped me out. More people have been coming here. I smiled and nodded my head as some people complemented me on my singing.

   "Well. I didn't expect the girl to get distracted by a street lamp would be singin' here," a familiar deep voice greeted. I turned around and saw that same skeleton. "Hey! It's you bones! How are you?"

   "I'm good. Ya know, that article was right. Angels would be jealous of your voice," he complemented and sat on the barstool next to me. I smiled and laughed a little, "Hey, what's your name?" I asked. He stuck out his hand, "Sans. Sans the skeleton." I took his hand, and he 'kissed' it. Since he didn't have lips, he just bumped his teeth into my hand.

   "Sorry, toots. I don't got any lips, so, ah, that's the best thing I can do," he chuckled. I giggled and took another sip from my red wine. "(Y/N), your brake is done!" I heard Donovan whisper scream to me. I chugged the rest down, and stood up, "Hey, let's talk after my shift is over. Meet me backstage, Sans. Oh, and tell Donnie that I sent you," I said as I walked off.

   When my shift ended, I was in my changing room. A small knock came from the door, "It's opened," I said loudly. Sans walked in with a smirk on his face. "Heya doll," he said as he sat down on the little armchair. "Wanna go get some drinks?" He offered and I nodded, "Sure. Just lemme change..."

   I walked behind some curtains, "Oh, you got me exited for a second," he chuckled. I smiled and carefully took my dress off. I took my hair out of the tight bun, and combed my hands through. I replaced it by wearing a tight gray skirt that went right up to me knees, and a white buttoned up shirt. I chose black flats since I wasn't a big fan of heels.

   When I walked back out, Sans' eyes were on me. Was he watching me? I shook the thought off and left my hair down. "Ready, so we're we headin?" I questioned.

   He opened the door and gestured me to go first, "Well, I was think of a very nice bar down the road... No offense but the booze back at Later's was too watered down." I smiled and nodded my head, "Yeah, last time it wasn't too watered down, a few people got drunk, and well... You know the deal."

He chuckled as we linked our arms as we walked down the street. "So, have a family?" I asked him. If he has brothers and sisters I have to meet them! "Yeah, I have a little brother. His name is Papyrus." Why does that name sound familiar?

"I had an older brother, but he moved to California for his job," I sighed. "What did he do?"

"Business. I forgot the full name... But he did business," I laughed.

We talked about normal things, getting to know each other. It was like, talking to a kindergardner on the first day of school. Favorite color, favorite food, favorite song, and so on and so forth.

We reached a brick building that said 'Grillby's' on the front. I was nervous, so I was chewing my lip when Sans and I walked in.

I'm pretty sure everyone was staring at us, and I heard a few whispers too. This place was filled with monsters. Not that I minded, but mean looking monsters.

We sat at a booth, and I'm guessing Sans can feel how nervous I was. He placed a gloved hand over mine, "Hey," he whispered, "Everyone's just not used to a human coming in this bar. And well, I actually got a date he joked. I smiled and chuckled a little.

"...Hello Sans... Who's the girl?" I looked up to see a blue fire man wearing suspended and a red bow tie was neatly placed under his collar of his white shirt. He had glasses on, and I could see stitches on his left eye that starts from about mid-cheek, and ended at about his forehead.

"My date. Ya heard of (Y/N) (L/N)?" Sans grinned. The blue living flame thought about it for a second, then nodded his head. "This is her, you should really hear her sing, Grillbz. Angels would be jealous of her voice!"

I blushed at the complement, and smiled slightly at him, "Hey," I greeted awkwardly.

"You stole it from me!" I heard someone bark behind Grillbz.

"No! I won this fair and square!"

"Then I'll just take it back!"

"Hey! Give it!"

A loud crashing noise boomed through the tavern. Grillbz and Sans seemed like it was nothing. "Umm, sir, you know that those to monsters are fighting?"

He only looked at me, "...This happens all the time, (Y/N)." I bit my lip again, seeing a wine glass hit the wall above me. I yelped and held my head. Grillbz turned his head to look at the fighting dogs, "...Fellas, I'd appreciate if you didn't bleed all over the bar. Blood stains are bastards to get out."

I gasped at what he said. Wow, well then, this must happen every day...

"Hey, Grillbz, we'll just share some fries. We'll decide what we want to drink later," Sans told Grillbz. He nodded and walked away. "Well then! Wow, great start to a date..." I laughed nervously, lowering my head.

He put a finger under my chin, "Doll, how can you be surprised? Everyone fights these days. It's not a surprise to see them fight. But, 'ey look at me," he ordered softly, as he lifted my chin up, "Ya don't need to be scared. Or nervous or awkward around monsters. We're just as good as humans! No offense..."

My lips went into a smile. "Thanks, Sans. Did you plan that speech?" I said with a wink. He laughed and shook his head, "I may be a skeleton, but I got a brain!" He laughed.

I began to giggle a bit, then laughter. He began doing bad puns, but to me it's funny because it's bad. We laughed until Grillby brought our fries. "...What kind of drinks?"

"My usual, for her, what ever's on tap," Sans answered. Grillbz left to go get us drinks. I yawned and stretched, hearing my bones crack. I saw Sans stiffen. "What? Oh, I'm sorry!" I realized that cracking my bones might sound very different to a skeleton. "N-Nah it's fine... Caught me off guard!" He laughed. I grinned and popped a fry in my mouth.

Grillbz came back with a bottle of ketchup, and a glass of some booze. I took a sip of it, blinking in how strong it was. Did he put straight alcohol in this glass?

   At least, that's what it tastes like to me. I'm so used to drinking watered down beers...so, yeah.

   We finished our meal, and we walked out. We linked arms again as I guided my way home. I stopped at my door, "Bye bones!" I chirped. "See ya, toots," he waved and walked off. I shut the door and leaned against it, sighing happily. Best night I've had in years!