#1

MAYA

"Yes, of course I'll be at work tomorrow. Why wouldn't I be?" I told my coworker Paisley. My name is Maya Hart and I'm a waitress at daffodil's in downtown Albany, New York. Paisley's my friend and coworker that I met during my first semester of college. Paisley is, well, let's just say that Paisley isn't the brightest bulb in the bunch. She's clumsy, gullible, and she often gets into situations that she need me to get her out of. But that's what I love about her, the fact that needs me and trusts me to take care of her. That's why she's my best friend.

As I was walking down the street, someone bumped into me. A tall guy, about my age judging by his size and obviously not from around here since he bumped into me. People from Albany tend to avoid physical contact with other people if they can. Much unlike the people from New York City.

"Watch where you're going." I muttered and kept walking. I didn't need anyone slowing down my day. Not today at least. I was going to hang out with my boyfriend, Josh, at our house in approximately ten minutes, then I had to meet my mom for lunch, then I had to go to work my night shift at daffodil's, and after all that was done I got to go home and sleep for a couple hours before going to my art class in the morning.

I arrived at Josh and I's house precisely one minute before I was supposed to show up. I walked in and set my bag down by the door. Josh was standing in front of the open fridge in only his grey sweatpants. When I shut the door he looked towards me and smiled, closing the fridge and walking towards me. He enveloped me in a hug and rested his head in the crook of my neck.

"Hey, babe." Josh said, kissing my cheek. I breathed in his scent, which always calmed me down after a stressful day or night.

"Hey." I smiled at him weakly. He looked at my outfit of the day and smirked, twirling me around.

"You look hot." He said. I laughed, I really hadn't been dressing to impress with my simple black crop top and ripped light wash jeans. It was just a cute and comfy outfit that I wore a lot. Still, Josh's compliment brightened my whole perspective.

"Thanks." I pecked his lips and grabbed a naked mango juice from the fridge. I sat myself down on the couch and switched on the television.

"America's Next Top Model Winner–"

I changed the channel. They would not spoil my favorite show for me again.

"Save fifteen percent or more on car insurance–"

"City Hero, Frank deLaCruz, saves another–"

"New York Yankees going to the World Series–"

Josh cheered before I switched off the tv, convinced that there was nothing good to watch.

"We should watch the baseball game from the stadium." Josh suggested, pulling me into another hug.

"I'm not interested in sports." I mutter, snuggling my face into his chest.

"But you're interested in me, and I'm interested in sports." Josh explained, I huffed. He had a point there. My alarm beeped from behind me, causing me to groan into Josh's chest. "Time for you to go?" Josh guessed.

"Yup." I sigh and release myself from his grip. "I'm sorry, babe, but I'll see you tonight after work." I promise him.

"You owe me!" He calls as I grab my bag and walk out the door, placing a smile on my face as I walk out of the building.

I walk down the street towards reno's pizza, my favorite italian place, to meet my mother. As I walk into the restaurant I instantly spot my mother, sitting at our usual table in the back. She spots me as I start to walk towards her and beams at me, her wedding ring shining on her left hand. I smile at the memory.

During my freshman year of high school, back when I lived in New York City, my best friend at the time, Riley Matthews, dad's best friend, Shawn, had proposed to my mom. It was an amazing day of happiness for me. Then the next year he got a job out in Albany and so we moved. I've been living in Albany ever since, which I didn't dislike. Albany was a cute little city compared to New York City, and I like the smaller crowds.

My mom snapped me back to reality. She pulled me into a hug, I still wasn't taller than her at 5'2 but I liked it that way. Although sometimes I did wear heels that made me slightly taller, but I didn't count that.

"How are you, Maya?" My mom asked me, sitting down at the table. I sat down across from her and smiled.

"Doing okay, Mom. A little busy but okay. How's Shawn?" I ask, gesturing for a waiter to serve us. For another hour my mom and I talked about school, Josh, my job, Shawn, normal mother-daughter conversation, but soon it was time for me to go. "Listen, Mom, I have to go, but I'll call you later." I said, and with that, I threw down a twenty on the table and walked out of the restaurant.

Soon I was at daffodil's, which was actually only about a block away from reno's. I walked into the diner and heard the bell ding above me. Instantly, I was greeted with a tackle hug from my blonde best friend.

"You're here!" Paisley yelled excitedly. I shushed her while laughing.

"Are there any other waitresses here tonight?" I asked her, looking around the empty diner.

"Just us and Brenda the cashier lady." Paisley said loudly, Brenda the cashier looked up. I waved at her. Brenda was an elderly lady that I liked to think of as my grandma, but she didn't like me that much.

I started to set up the tables and polish the counters while Paisley sat by the kitchen and talked her head off.

"You know that Bradley broke up with me last night because I got drunk and slept with a guy a couple times. Who does that?" Paisley complained while putting on some lipstick. I chuckled. "And Caitlyn says she hates me because I slept with her boyfriend. And Mrs. Horn fired me from being a librarian because I was too loud. So I told her that I needed the money, and it wasn't my fault that being quiet wasn't my thing." Paisley explained, I looked up from washing off the table.

"Did she rehire you?" I asked as she reapplied her mascara.

"No." Paisley said simply, I snorted. I flipped on the open sign and opened the door. Within thirty minutes daffodil's was filled with people. Paisley was waiting on a table filled with guys, a few of which she would probably sleep with later in life. I don't know why but that's just Paisley's way. As for me, I was loyal to Josh, but that doesn't mean I don't flirt here and there.

I slipped on my white apron that read 'daffodil's' in pink, cutesy lettering and walked out to serve people. I walked up to a random table and pulled out my notepad.

"Good evening, my name is Maya, I'll be your waitress today. Can I start you off with anything?" I asked, putting on my waitress smile.

"Hi, Maya. Yes, I'll get a short stack of pancakes and a big helping of explanation." I started to jot it down when I realized. I looked up slowly to see the tall man who bumped into me earlier. The same man who I went to high school with in New York City. The only man who has ever called me a short stack of pancakes.

"Well if it isn't Lucas Friar."

__________

i hope u liked this chapter

next chapters gonna be more about lucas and maya this one was kind of just an introduction

kylie