#4

Just another day in paradise.

I walked around the diner, which was surprisingly empty, with the exception of a few groups of people. I asked a group of teenagers how their food was, I gave a seventh grade group their check, I asked a middle aged man if he wanted more coffee. Just a normal day at daffodil's. I walked back into the kitchen where Paisley was lounging.

"You'll never guess what happened, Maya." Paisley gushed, ready to tell me her newest story. "I slept with this guy last night and he was so cute." Paisley finished. Once again, I had to laugh. Her stories never had points to them but she told them like there was no tomorrow. "Said his name was Lucas, I think. Friar was his last name if I remember correctly."

My throat burned. How could he do that to me? Nope, not to me. We're not together anymore. I don't care.

"That's cool." I deadpanned, Paisley didn't seem to notice my disinterest.

"Not really. He kept talking about this one girl the entire time. Called her the blonde beauty or something stupid."

I stopped in my tracks, almost dropping the stack of dirty plates that I held in my hand. I set them down carefully and looked straight at her.

"He was talking about a blonde beauty?" I repeated to her, she nodded with distaste.

"It was gross. I might actually lose interest in sleeping with strangers now." Paisley said, acting serious. Then she laughed. "No I won't."

Meanwhile, I was still trying to process what Paisley had said. Lucas was with Paisley last night, and he was talking about me? That's unimaginable. It's been almost five years. He couldn't possibly.

I left it at that.

I checked out of my mid-day shift and walked down the street to my house. I was extremely grateful that my work wasn't a million miles from home. As I entered my house I was prepared for the ordinary sight.

What I got was everything but.

Standing in the middle of my living room were my three former best friends and my boyfriend. Lucas stood there with no emotion, Riley looked terrified, and Farkle smirked. Josh just looked confused.

I focused my attention on him.

"You let them in?" I asked him. He looked from me to the group of friends then back to me, as if trying to decide who to be more afraid of.

"They made me." He said lamely. I exhaled, even my boyfriend didn't have an explanation to what was going on.

"Maya?" Riley said, stepping forward. Her brown hair was still wavy and beautiful, and her features were the same ones I had left, except they weren't happy.

"Hey, Riley." I greeted her. She threw herself at me, and even though she's taller, I caught her in my arms.

"I'm missed you so much! We've missed you so much!" She said, her voice filling with joy. I glared at Lucas over Riley's shoulder. He smirked in return.

"It's great to see you, Riley." I told her, grinning as her happiness overcame my glum attitude. "Could I please have a word with Lucas? Alone." I asked. Riley nodded and dragged Farkle into another room. Josh stayed in the room, probably afraid of Lucas attacking me. "No funny business I promise." I told him, though I knew he wasn't afraid of what I would do, it's what Lucas would do. So, trusting me, Josh left.