#12

I crashed through my front door, hoping to see anything but two males standing in my living room, staring daggers at each other. Sadly, that is precisely what I saw. Josh was in grey sweatpants and a tight black tshirt, and Lucas was wearing dark cowboy jeans with a flannel underneath a black leather jacket. They both looked attractive in their signature looks.

"Maya, care to explain this?" Josh points to Lucas, then puts his hands on his hips. He wasn't mad at me, but he definitely wasn't happy that there was another guy in his house.

As I got prepared to answer I observed their stances. Both stood up straight, puffing out their chests, staring straight into each others eyes without even a hint of a smile on either of their faces. It was alpha male versus alpha male, and I couldn't be more terrified.

"Well.." I began, unsure of how to explain all this. "Lucas needed a place to stay and since you were gone I didn't think you would mind. I let him crash on the couch for the weekend and he was supposed to leave this afternoon." So not all of that was a lie, just the majority. Truth be told, I don't know why I let Lucas stay here, and I hadn't really thought about when he would have to leave.

"Okay. So why is he still here?"I could tell the question wasn't directed at me, it was for Lucas.

"I wanted to make sure she got home safely." Lucas said, not as if he was apologizing, but as if explaining his job.

"Well, that's not your place." Josh stepped closer to the cowboy. "I am her boyfriend, it is my job to protect her. Not yours." Josh clarified.

"Sorry that I wanted her to be safe. What I was supposed to do? Let her defend herself for three days while you go on...vacation?" Lucas scoffed, stepping closer to me, but Josh cut off his angle. Joshua stood directly in front of me, like an impenetrable wall.

"First of all, it was for my job. Second of all, if Maya really needed you, she would have asked. And I can guarantee that she didn't." Josh said, and he was right. I hadn't asked Lucas for his help, he just sort of did it, no questions asked.

"Well you weren't the one who kissed her this weekend, now were you?" It was just a random statement, but it threw both Josh and I off guard.

oh crap

Josh has never been the type to get angry or jealous. He's usually a chill guy who doesn't jump to conclusions or assume anything. Something about Lucas, however, was unsettling to Josh, and I could tell.

I'd seen Josh mildly irritated before, but this was the maddest I had ever seen him. His eyes were slits, his jaw was clenched, and his nostrils were flaring, the sight horrified me. Without any warning, he swung his fist out and punched Lucas straight in the jaw, wiping the smirk off his face.

__________

"You kissed?" Josh asked me. I was trembling, terrified of what was going to happen.

"He kissed me." I corrected desperately. "I shoved him away as soon as it happened, I swear!" I reached for him, but he pulled away. he just rubbed his face and paced around the room, not saying a word. "Josh, please, you have to believe me!" I begged. When he looked over at me and saw the fear in my eyes, the stone cold look softened. He sighed softly before approaching me slowly. He gently wrapped his arms around me, and it felt safe.

"Of course I believe you." He gently kissed the top of my head. "I just don't like this Lucas guy." He gestured at the unconscious cowboy on our living room floor.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you he was here. I didn't think it would be a big deal." I whispered sheepishly. He lifted my chin and kissed me. It was a soft kiss, gentle and pure, but something about it didn't feel right anymore. Our lips were touching, but it felt awkward, and I couldn't help but remember how different it used to be.

"I love you, Hart. So much." Josh said. He kissed me again, but I pulled away quickly, it felt so wrong. Lucas was stirring on the floor, so I told Josh I'd handle him.

"Maya?" Lucas asked, when he tried to sit up I could tell he was in a lot of pain, so I helped him. We were walking to the door, when Lucas stopped me. "Maya, I don't want to be the one to ruin your new life, but–" he couldn't finish his sentence. I knew what he was going to say, and I knew it would be easier for the both of us if he just stopped.

"Lucas, look. Back in middle school, if you'd have given me this option I would've jumped at the chance to be with you. If you and Riley hadn't worked out or if you decided she wasn't right for you, maybe we would be together. Maybe this would be our five year anniversary." I gave him all these hypotheticals, and as I imagined them I had to smile. Things could be so different. But, sadly, they aren't. "Or," I continued. "we could have broken up so horribly that we didn't even remain friends. We could have been too awkward to even be in the same room as one another. It would be worse than when I smoothied your hair." Lucas laughed a sad laugh. "Do you want that?"

It took him a while to answer and I knew that he would be reluctant, but he couldn't dismiss the truth.

"No." He all but whispered.

"Wouldn't you rather us stay being friends? Not give each other the chance to break up a great friendship?" I asked
him, trying my hardest to make everything right. He nodded slowly, and I felt mostly relieved. Although, a tiny part in the pit of my stomach felt sad. "Good, then let's shake hands and say 'see you later'."

I held out my hand, but Lucas just stared at it. I knew what he was thinking, for once in my life, I could read Lucas Friar like a book. He was debating himself, he wanted me to be happy, but at the same time he didn't want to let me go again. Slowly, he extended his hand, reluctantly reaching for mine.

What happened next was shocking and exhilarating all at the same time:

Instead of reaching for my hand, he grabbed me by the waist and pulled me closer to him. He crashed his lips onto mine and held me there. Without a thought, I kissed back, wrapping my arms around his neck. When we finally pulled away, he just smiled at me. His charming texan looks made me grin like a crazy person. I was happy for the first time in forever.

"I love you too." And then I kissed him again.

__________

yaayayayayayayya who else is happy??

#lucaya5ever

ps the next chapter is probably the last...

vote/comment/follow

kylie