#5

I took the next day off of work to think things out. My three best friends from middle school were in my city. They claimed to have missed me, but did they really? I never got any letters from them.

because they didn't know my address.

They never tried to search for me.

i don't know that for sure.

I never once got any calls.

because i changed my number.

No matter what I tried, I couldn't find anyway to blame them for the lack of communication. It was my fault for leaving without a goodbye. It was my fault for never giving them my address or new phone number. It was entirely me that forced the communication deficiency. And I still don't know why I did it.

Unlike me, Josh was at work, selling clothes to people at Hollister and modeling from time to time. He made a lot of money that way. I wished my life could be as put together as his.

My life was put together when I moved to Albany in the first place. I met new friends, got myself a boyfriend, had two loving parents, I went to college doing what I loved. My life was perfect. Then hop-along decided to mosey on down to my work and destroy my tranquility. Now I had another huge problem on my hands.

There was a knock on the door. I looked at it suspiciously, as if it could have tricked me and knocked on itself. I slowly walked over to it, then I opened it. Lucas Friar rushed into my house.

"Why did you lie to them?" He demanded. Great, now he's barging in on my days off too.

"I told you. Riley would've blamed herself. Farkle would've felt guilty. I can't put that on them, even if we're not friends anymore." I explained, collapsing onto the couch. Lucas sat next to me and looked at me, just looked.

"Well it sure sounds like you care." Lucas said, I looked at him with surprise. "This whole 'I don't care about anyone or anything' act. You may act like you don't care, but you sound like you really do." Lucas said. Curse him. He always was able to read me with just one look.

"So what if I care?" I snap, resting my head on the back of the couch.

"You don't have to lie to me, Maya. We've always told each other our secrets." Lucas said, taking my hand. I pulled it away.

"I don't tell anyone my secrets anymore." I stated sadly. I tell Josh some of them, but even him I keep secrets from.

"You told me why you really left. Then you said that you didn't want to tell the others because that would make them feel bad. Why didn't you care about me feeling guilty?" He asked me, and I knew it wasn't an accusation. It was rhetorical, he already knew the answer. "Because you trust me. You know that I'll understand. You don't have to hide from me."

"I didn't have to hide from anyone until you showed up in my diner." I said, standing up quickly. "I never worried about my past coming back to haunt me until you came to town." The corner of Lucas' mouth twitched upward slightly, as if he knew what I was going to say. "You should go." I told him. He just nodded and got up, leaving without another word. I sighed and laid down on the couch.

Just minutes after Lucas had left, Josh walked in. He looked hot in his jean jacket and flannel shirt. I checked him out.

"Cute." I told him. He smiled at me and walked over. He positioned himself on top of me on the couch, kissing my lips. I kissed back, holding the back of his neck with my hands. When he pulled away, all of my Lucas-related-stress was out the window. Josh sat upright and pulled me onto his lap.

"I saw that Lucas guy leaving." Josh told me.

And the stress is back.

I groaned and leaned my head backwards against his chest. He laughed.

"Is he bothering you?" Josh asked with a smile.

"He's just...persistent." I told Josh. Josh's expression darkened into a knowing look.

"Persistent as in..." Josh started, he clearly didn't want to finish the sentence, and I really didn't want someone else to confirm my growing suspicion.

"It's not a problem." I reassured him, waving it off with my hand. Josh shrugged and turned on the tv, settling on some good old fashion Big Bang Theory.

"Did you have class today?" Josh asked, watching the tv.

Talking while watching shows was me and Josh's thing. We watched whatever was on tv but we paid attention to each other. It was sort of a way to prove that we could truly listen even if we weren't watching.

I shook my head at Josh's question.

"I don't have art class until later tonight." I explain, chuckling slightly when Sheldon said something to Penny.

"I'm going out of town for a few days, how are you getting home?" Josh asked me, twirling my hair from behind. That reminded me of when I pretended to be Zay's girlfriend to make his old ex jealous. I smiled at the memory. "Maya?" Josh asked, slightly shaking me.

"Oh," I said, coming back to reality. "I'll just walk home. It's not too far from here." I shrugged it off. Josh didn't seem thrilled at that idea, he was always worrying about my safety. What a sweetheart. "Plus," I smiled at him. "I'm a tough girl. I fight for myself, you know that." I reminded him of the time when I showed him up in a defense martial arts class. I had judo flipped him onto the mats. It was a glorious milestone in our relationship.

Josh chuckled and began massaging my shoulders. I leaned my head back in pleasure and smiled. What a good and wholesome boyfriend I have. He was perfect in every way. The hours went by as Josh and I talked. Soon, Josh had to pack for his trip to Philadelphia to see his parents and I had an art class to attend.

I kissed him goodbye and headed off to describe my day to my friends in the only way I knew how: paint and canvas.

__________

ok so not a very eventful chapter

i still hope you're liking the story guys!!

lmk ;)

kylie