#7

I awoke to the smell of pancakes and bacon in my house on a Saturday morning. My first thought was that Josh was spoiling me, I smiled. When I realized Josh was gone for the weekend, I got suspicious. What kind of a burglar would make stuff in a house that they were taking stuff from? Then I remembered Lucas.

I trotted down the stairs in my sweatpants and crop top sleep shirt. I poked my head into the kitchen door, sure enough, there was Lucas, flipping pancakes like this was his house. I groaned and fully emerged into the kitchen, captivating Lucas' attention.

"You're making me want to stay." I complained to Lucas as he handed me a plate of pancakes. I took them and smiled sleepily, then trudged back up the stairs to change into my work clothes. I grabbed a pair of dark ripped jeans and a white knit sweater and headed to the bathroom to change and do my makeup.

Ten minutes later, I walked back down the stairs and grabbed my purse and my keys before heading out the door. I hears Lucas call a faint 'have fun' from the kitchen before I slammed the door and marched off to work.

LUCAS

As soon as the door slammed shut I pulled out a yellow box from my pocket and walked to the small backyard. With my lighter in my hand I set the first cigarette on fire. Pressing it to my lips I inhaled the fire and blew it out in a puff of black. I sighed, feeling the comfort that smoking always brought me. The door slammed again behind me.

shoot.

I slowly turned around and there was Maya, hands on her hips, her lips pursed in a frustrated manor, and staring right at me.

"Hey." I waved weakly. She shook her head and grabbed her phone from the dining room table. I couldn't make eye contact with her as she walked back out the door, her heels clicking against the wood floor, and it slammed. Only then could my eyes connect with anything but the wood.

I felt guilty about going behind her back, yes. I didn't want Maya to be mad at me, also true. My mind told me to let her cool down, then apologize when she got back. My heart told me to go after her now or she might never come back.

At this point, I couldn't tell which was stupider.

If I give her space, she might come back even madder. But if I go after her
now, she might blow up in my face and I'd be really screwed.

She's probably better off on her own for a couple hours.

I sighed and drew out another cigarette from the box. Old habits die hard, or not at all.

MAYA

I walked down to daffodil's, feeling extremely frustrated with Lucas. Smoking was bad enough, but in my backyard? Sometimes I wonder if he even has a brain under that cowboy hat of his.

I slammed the back door shut, and the entire staff looked at me. I shrugged and went to get my apron. Someone ran up to me and gave me a hug from behind. I turned around and faced Jordan, my best-guy-friend-slash-co-worker.

"You okay, Hart?" Jordan asked me. I nodded and slid on my apron, ready for another day of work. He hugged me again and went off to take the order of a group of high school students. I walked over to a group of older ladies and asked them if I could get them anything.

The hours went on like they normally would, nothing exceptionally bad but uneventful at the same time. My frustration for Lucas lightened as I told order after order, and eventually I forgot about the whole dilemma.

I walked home after my shift, texting Josh goodnight and scrolling through instagram. Strong arms grabbed me from behind and I went into automatic defense mode. I grabbed their left arm and judo flipped them forward at my feet. My eyes widened and I instantly started apologizing.

"Jordan, I am so so so so sorry." I said, helping him up and dusting him off. He just laughed and shrugged, Jordan wasn't the type of guy to get mad about this sort of thing.

"It's okay, Hart. I was just going to walk you home so you'd be safe." Jordan explained, grabbing my hand like an older brother would. Honestly, I used to like Jordan, he's attractive, sweet, and protective, but he only saw me as a little sister, so I gave up and stayed loyal to Josh. Part of me still thinks Jordan is cute, it's a guilty pleasure of mine that I get to see and talk to him every day. We got to my house and we parted, as he walked away, I checked him out from behind.

I know it's bad, I do have a boyfriend. That doesn't mean I can't think other guys are cute...right?

I walked into the house and saw Lucas outside on the back porch. I walked out to him and sat beside him. He glanced over at me, then back at the ground, I could tell he felt guilty.

"I'm sorry about earlier, Maya. I shouldn't have done that at your house, I messed up." Lucas admitted. I sighed and ruffled his hair.

"Just don't do it again." I told him. He nodded, but something about him told me that that wasn't the only thing he was feeling guilt for. I got up and went to bed, too tired to continue a conversation.

LUCAS

I sigh as Maya leaves to go to bed. I watch her as she slumps up the stairs and disappears from my view.

I shouldn't be feeling this way. She has a boyfriend, I just got out of a relationship, I haven't seen her in years, she doesn't seem to care about me, I could go on forever about why me and Maya were destined to never be a couple. After all I don't deserve her, I broke her heart by choosing Riley, and I'll never forgive myself for that.

I can't still love Maya. It wouldn't be fair to her. There were too many things wrong with it.

But I couldn't help but think about how right it feels.

__________

oh dear

kylie