i. becoming a hale

[ start of becoming a hale ]

INCREASING the volume of the car radio to a higher voltage, Eleanor Hale began moving her head to the beat of the music, grinning as her brothers amused laughs fell throughout the vehicle due to her horrific high pitched singing.

The car groaned in dissatisfaction as it rolled over the abundance of twigs and leaves surrounding the Beacon Hill preserve floor, following the dirt track Derek himself had made prior that lead to the remaining walls of their family house.

It was dark outside, just turned nine o'clock when the car halted to a stop outside where Eleanor, Jaden and Derek had chosen to stay. The stars were setting in the sky, as if someone had painted them and were waiting for them to dry, and the moon nearly full as it inched closer to that time of month.

A dull ache sounded from within the car doors' bolts as the siblings pushed them open, clambering out of the now warm vehicle as they looked ahead at the remaining of a house, sighing in disbelief at the sight before moving toward the back of the car, heaving their loaded bags toward the front door Derek had remembered so well.

It was the last night of summer in Beacon Hills before kids aged four to eighteen were required to attend their next year of school, a month before Eleanor and Jaden's birthday. With this celebration came a special occasion they had only endured twice in their lives, the current day being a third.

For most teenagers, turning sixteen was a big life event, however it was even more so for Jaden and Eleanor Hale. This age meant they could finally have control over their lives and live with whom they wanted. They were both born into a supernatural family but after The Hale house fire, were sent away for protection.

They were adopted by a loving married couple named Bobby and Lily Finstock. And finally, a year later, they were reintroduced to their biological siblings, Laura and Derek Hale.

Of course, neither Jaden or Eleanor had come of age to decide that they wanted to live with their family until now. However, Laura had vanished a few weeks prior to this, and Jaden, Eleanor and Derek continued to search high and low for their sister, hoping that she would be present for the special occasion, the final step to the twins officially becoming a Hale.

Nonetheless, Derek, Eleanor and Jaden refused to delay the event, reminding each other that Laura would come home eventually and that they still had each other's presence to be content with. No matter how clueless they were to what had really happened to their sister, they stuck together and decided that today would finally be the day that they would become a proper family again, Laura or not.

Walking closer to the front door, Jaden's grin widened as he threw an arm around Eleanor's shoulders, squeezing her gently in excitement as Derek watched them, a loving look in his eye that sat beneath his monotone stare and lifeless exterior. He resented the thought of showing any emotion, but when it involved the only family he had left, he wouldn't skip it in a heartbeat.