xxii. formality

[ start of formality part one ]

  ELEANOR'S BODY, FOR the first two hours after the attack, had not stopped convulsing in pain. After she finally thought it would stop, and she'd get pull herself to her knees, it would start all over again.

  She wasn't entirely stupid. She knew that someone, an Argent, had taken Derek from the house when she had helped Scott and Jackson flee, and that they were in the midst of torturing him for pleasure. It made her nauseous.

  Although not on the best of terms with her brother, she loved him dearly and she felt nothing but anger for the Argent's and what they were putting him through; what they were putting her through.

  Jaden had found his sister in the house after the first hour had come and gone, his face contorted in worry and angst as he rushed toward her, unable to fathom what was happening. It was only when Derek's name fell from her lips that he realised.

  The twins thought that they could not despise the Argent's more than they already did until that precise moment. How they were so inhumane and ruthless was beyond their comprehension.

  After two excruciating hours went by, the pain came to a slow stop, and ever so slightly, Eleanor made her way to stand on her feet. She was exhausted, and Jaden offered his arm to lean on for support.

  They had decided during those two hours that their house wasn't safe. There was a possibility that the Argent's were after more than one Hale, and their safest option was to leave the premises and reside somewhere else.

  That somewhere else was Scott McCall's household.

  And that's where Jaden took Eleanor. They arrived minutes after they had set off and were ushered in with several questions following from both Scott and Stiles, whom had joined his best friend an hour or so beforehand.

  They ignored the pair and headed upstairs, into Scott's bedroom where Jaden lay Eleanor down to rest. She sighed in relief as he body hit the plush duvet and almost immediately curled into a small ball, smiling softly as Stiles and Scott entered the room after them.

  "What's going on?"

  Jaden sighed, looking at his sister and then at the boys. "The Argent's have Derek somewhere, and they're torturing him, which means..."

  All three boys glanced at Eleanor sympathetically, Stiles' voice lowered as he finished sombrely. "Nora's being tortured too."

  "I'm fine." Eleanor stated, cuddling into Scott's pillow while her eyes never opened. "They stopped for a while."

  "That doesn't mean that they've stopped for good, they'll probably start again soon."